Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which Koni package for suspension replacement: FSD or Sport?

I'm at the point where some suspension parts are going out(like the strut mounts) and my indy shop has to take the shocks out to just replace the strut mounts.

I'm thinking of replacing the shocks and springs at this point(130k miles) as I don't think it's been done before by the previous owner. If i want to keep the current ride of the ZHP (I believe from reading that is the same as the Sports suspension option) but willing to get a slight lower ride height and slightly stiffer springs, should I get the Koni FSD (2150 4006) or Sport(part 1145 1011) as they are about the same price? I don't plan to track this car or change the adjustment setting on this car if the FSD will do. I read good things on the Koni package but it does not necessary have to be this brand.

I'm leaning towards the FSD but want some input. The requirement are that
    1) The car is even height(front and back and not raking\slant leveling) and not too low where it rubs the curbs\bump.
    2) Corners as well or slightly better as the current ZHP setup.
    3) Go over the road imperfection(potholes, cracks,etc) as well as the current ZHP setup(and not too crazy harsh over road imperfection, low and stiff like the H&R and Bilstein setup I had before in my other E46. )

Thanks..

Your requirements based on FSD's:
    1) Shocks won't affect the ride height. You would need to change springs for that.
    2) Yes, it will corner slightly better than the OE shocks.
    3) Yes, it will ride smoother than the OE shocks.
    4) Yes, FSD's are made of magic.

No no no, don't listen to this heretic. FSDs are for pagans, scrubs, infidels, and devout Kardashian followers. Yes, yes, the FSDs might provide an amazing balance between performance and ride comfort and have hydraulic fluid made of magical unicorn tears (or maybe just the tears of a horse with a horn glued to its head), but the true king is Koni Sport (Yellow). They are adjustable magic. Like "oh I only want two pieces of cooked bacon to pop out of thin air, not 20, but because my magic is adjustable, I can have 20 at a later time that I desire"-type adjustable magic.

Jokes aside, you can't really go wrong with either setup.

Here is a link to my often (self) promoted link to my suspension refresh thread for an OEM+ feel: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

I run FSD shocks and stock ZHP springs. I do not track my car. It handles wonderfully on budget tires and my Style 68 wheels. I will be going with FSDs again when it's time to replace them.

5/2003 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP
    - Sedan :: 6MT :: Style 68 -
    h&r | drvanos | koni | active autowerke | vibrant | akg | turner

I'm going with FSD as well, looking for a more comfortable yet sporty ride offered by the ZHP. The adjustable ride by Koni Sport is very tempting though. I can go full sport if I'm on the mood for a twisty sporty ride on the weekend. Comfortable on weekdays, sporty on weekend drives. But again, I'm nt a guy that will be diligent enough to tweak with the settings, especially the shocks, hence I'm leaning more toward the FSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aeternalis View Post
    I run FSD shocks and stock ZHP springs. I do not track my car. It handles wonderfully on budget tires and my Style 68 wheels. I will be going with FSDs again when it's time to replace them.
    Lifetime warranty on FSD's so if you do need to replace one, it's on Koni.

The Koni package has the Koni FSD and Eibach Pro-Kit spring together. I'm worried that the car's front will be too low compared to the rear due to the Eibach springs. Tirerack says this package will lower Avg 1.5 inch Front and 1.5 inch Rear. Since I'm replacing the shocks, I might has well do the springs also.

I see lots of good options described in the above posts and nice pics of cars here(BMWCurves) , but I'm also still considering just staying with the OEM Sachs to be on the safe side(for the next 7 years). I need the suspension primarily to soak up the moderately bad roads and still allow me to drive fast on highways and corner well. I don't have a lot of time to decide as the strut mounts are making lots of noise and my day off to go the shop is late next week. Thanks guys..

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp

Here is a really good comparison on the koni shocks vs the bmw e46 sport shocks. Also I don't think you can lower the car if you go with the fsds so I would leave the factory springs if that's the case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BMWM3186 View Post

Here is a really good comparison on the koni shocks vs the bmw e46 sport shocks. Also I don't think you can lower the car if you go with the fsds so I would leave the factory springs if that's the case.

Excellent resource! Thanks for sharing that.

+1 to leaving the factory springs if you don't feel like you need to go lower. The more travel that you give the FSD's to operate, the smoother they ride.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWM3186 View Post

That's pretty cool. I wish they tested some other settings on the sports. Did anybody else experience both?

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad240 View Post
    The Koni package has the Koni FSD and Eibach Pro-Kit spring together. I'm worried that the car's front will be too low compared to the rear due to the Eibach springs. Tirerack says this package will lower Avg 1.5 inch Front and 1.5 inch Rear. Since I'm replacing the shocks, I might has well do the springs also.
    Your current springs should be fine if they don't have rust issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast