Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Continued suspension refresh advice

I got my car done with Bilstein HDs, Lemforder FSMs, Turner Aluminium RSMs, and reinforcement plates. Totally transformed the car. 98% of the suspension noise (knocking going over bumps) is now gone. FCAs and FCABs are due to be replaced (FCABs were done at ~75k or about 35k ago). No play in the steering like I had right before getting the FCABs done a while back, but a few subtle knocking/tapping noises coming from the front end which are audible at low speed going over mild bumps (i.e. expansion joint in parking garage). Likely there at higher speeds too, just not audible given road noise.

There seem to be ZHP and non-ZHP FCAs for the 330 so I want to confirm parts. Is this kit the way to go?
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...zhp4piecekit-l

Thanks

Yes, that is the OEM kit for the zhp, I think some people replace the Zhp FCABs with z4m ones as an upgrade. I may or may not go that route when mine go.

How do you like the bilsteins?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BMWM3186 View Post
    How do you like the bilsteins?
    Tough to really say as my only point of comparison was the old/dead OEM shocks. My sense is that the HDs are very slightly stiffer than what a new set of OEMs would have been. If anyone is concerned that the HDs are too stiff, don't be.

Does adding sway bar end-links and tie rods add a dimension of complexity to the FCA/FCAB DIY, or are those easy to do once car is up in air? There's another kit that adds these elements - worth it at 110k miles or just leave these until they are known to be ready for replacement?
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...zhp8piecekit-l

There are a few subtle noises left after my shocks/struts were replaced. I would describe these noises as a mild cracking (usually heard first time I touch the brakes in the morning) and then some knocking going over some low speed bumps (i.e. seam in parking garage)
    -My FCAs are original (FCABs replaced ~35k ago)...are my FCAs definitely contributing to the noises?
    -Any specific symptoms of bad bar end-links or tie-rod ends? Not sure if these are contributing to the noises.

Be sure to check the torque on the upper bolts of the front struts. Too tight and you'll get popping, clicking noises, Too loose, you'll get clunking.
    My guess is it's your FCA's.

Once you car's in the air, I would do everything. The level of difficulty doesn't really increase, it just takes a little more time and patience for stuff like inner and outer control arm ball joints. The tie rods and sway bar stuff is a breeze. Trust me, this is not the kind of job you want to keep revisiting. Also, use a good lubricant on all the rubber stuff like "Super Lube". This stuff was recommended to me by the guy's at Rogue Engineering and I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludsport View Post
    Be sure to check the torque on the upper bolts of the front struts. Too tight and you'll get popping, clicking noises, Too loose, you'll get clunking.
    My guess is it's your FCA's.

Once you car's in the air, I would do everything. The level of difficulty doesn't really increase, it just takes a little more time and patience for stuff like inner and outer control arm ball joints. The tie rods and sway bar stuff is a breeze. Trust me, this is not the kind of job you want to keep revisiting. Also, use a good lubricant on all the rubber stuff like "Super Lube". This stuff was recommended to me by the guy's at Rogue Engineering and I really like it.
    I did FCAs, FCABs, and front swaybar end-links. Still have a few noises. Will be doing tie rods and the steering coupler in a few days. If the sound(s) remains at that point, it must be something that needs to be re-torqued.