Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Random Electrical Problem

This started out randomly. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary before this started happening.

First, the radio shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I didn't think much of it. A day later, the turn signals wouldn't show on the dash although they still worked outside of the car. Later the next day, the windows and sunroof will no longer work and the air conditioning does not blow cold even though the screen and buttons work fine.

I've searched and all forums suggest the battery voltage is low and causing problems. I tested the battery while the car is off, 11.9 Volts and while the car is running, 14.0 Volts.

I haven't been able to read if there are any codes yet. I will do that next. Any suggestions? Anyone have a similar problem?

I have an almost identical problem, but have yet to find a solution. Tested my battery and it actually is putting out more CCA than normal, have no idea how to check my Alternator so thats a bust...

But I do see the code everytime I use BMWScanner, so im not sure

I had a recent problem where my car would SHUT OFF while driving after hitting a bump or taking a turn so clearly something had gone awry.

Ended up figuring out that my local BMW dealership did me dirty, they not only PHYSICALLY drilled a nail into my tires treadwall

They CLEARLY must have "forgotten" to recalibrate my Steering Angle Sensor post installing a new Air bag for the recall - causing me to get a million and one codes -_-..

I re calibrated my sensor, tightened the negative battery terminal, and next I'll be replacing the pulley on my Bosch Alternator (after checking it of course)

So I feel your pain, take a screenshot of your codes next time and lets see if we can figure this out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, that sounds like GM5 symptoms.

https://www.bmwgm5.com

Email your symptoms to the guy that runs that site and he can tell you if it's indeed the GM5.

11.9 is pretty low. maybe try swapping the battery from the nice SG sedan parked nearby for testing?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    OP, that sounds like GM5 symptoms.

https://www.bmwgm5.com

Email your symptoms to the guy that runs that site and he can tell you if it's indeed the GM5.
    I just emailed him. He said my symptoms are not typical of a GM5 failure

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    11.9 is pretty low. maybe try swapping the battery from the nice SG sedan parked nearby for testing?
    I'll swap them out later. Good thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    I'll swap them out later. Good thinking!

you've also got every other part you might need to test with right in the SG sedan, too. (sorry to the owner, i know he's a member here, LOL!!)
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

It's fixed! Unplugging the radio made everything work again. Thanks everyone for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Wow. Radio is shorted?
    I guess so. I never expected it to take anything else out. At least it's an easy fix