Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Reinstall Shark Injector

So, I installed a Shark Injector--supposedly successfully (no fault codes)--on my ZHP last fall. I had previously installed one on a 2004 330xi, and I installed one yesterday on a 2005 330xi (both with definite results). Well, from day one I reported that I could detect no difference on my ZHP (kind of proud of the fact I didn't fall victim to the Placebo effect). Well, now that I'm running my ZHP some more (it's always run amazing), I see that the rev limiter is still kicking in at 6,800rpm instead of 7,000rpm as advertised by the Shark Injector (and gained on my other 6MT 330xi). I strongly suspect that the Shark programming didn't take (I suspect I may have exited the install procedure before I should have), and I want to do it again, but the instructions don't cover my situation. Do I restore and reinstall or, since it didn't take, do I start fresh with an initial install (I lean toward this since, if the Shark programming isn't loaded, my OEM programming must still be in there)? Once initiated but not finished, can I even safely restart the procedure? I just want to be very careful (wondering if it's possible the Shark programming simply didn't change my rev limiter?) and would appreciate any solid advice before moving forward.

I have a call into Turner but was kind of hoping to do something today.
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 07-30-2017 at 01:01 PM.

I'd try restoring first. If it doesn't have your stock image stored, then it just won't do anything, right?

Makes sense... At this point, I might as well talk to Turner. Thanks for the input!

Talked to Turner, and they advised me to reattempt install. I did, and it turned out to be a restore--which means I did successfully install it the first time. I then successfully reinstalled the Shark Injector, again, and my rev limiter is still kicking in at about 6,875 RPM (just shy of halfway through the red zone--6,800 to 7,000 RPM). Without the Shark Injector, the rev limiter kicks in precisely when the needle reaches the red zone, so I don't think tachometer calibration has anything to do with it. Though subtle, the car does behave slightly better with the Shark Injector... relative to the Shark programming, the factory programming makes the car feel like the AC is on or something.

Note that my 330xi 6MT, which I just Sharked, runs to 7,000 RPM on the button.

I'm going to call them back tomorrow to see if anything can be done. I must say, Turner always has good, knowledgeable customer service.

Weird that it's doing that but glad you got it half-sorted.

Having the A/C on also sounds like the perfect description of the difference between the tune and stock. Well put.

I agree with your statement on Turner's reps. Those guys are always really helpful and are my first contact when I have a question about a part.

The website mentions the Shark ZHP limit is 6920. That could be the difference.

I obviously missed that... as did the Turner rep I spoke to. Problem solved--THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    The website mentions the Shark ZHP limit is 6920. That could be the difference.
    Huh. That's funny. Never noticed that.

For others reading, their site has this:

2004-2006 E46 330i ZHP (M54 engine) Performance Software Peak Gains

HP Gain + 14 @ 6400 RPM
    Torque Gain + 11 @ 4100 RPM
    New Rev Limit 7000* RPM
    And then this in a note below it:

There are multiple versions of stock ZHP software and BMW used different rev limits in some of them. A ZHP automatic will always have a lower rev limit than a manual in the interest of preserving the automatic transmission. Our engine software will alter the rev limit set in the ECU but other limits in the auto transmission programming will maintain the factory rev limit. Manual ZHPs have stock rev limits that vary - some are set as high as 6920 by the factory software. The Shark ZHP software sets all manual transmission rev limits to 6920.

Uh... yeah... confusing to say the least. I must confess it irks me that my xi revs higher than my ZHP.

Just got the following email from a "senior sales rep" at Turner (who didn't know the final resolution) and wondered what people thought...

"So if you base it on the dash tach, you are getting a "suggestion" as to what your RPM actually is.* The dash tachs on BMWs are notorious for being off by a few hundred RPM.* The actual electronic rev limit is raised to the advertised limit of 7000. You are good to go, no need to call.

Thanks!

-Doug"
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 08-02-2017 at 12:52 AM.