Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB: Aftermarket exhaust

Hi there: I'm looking for an aftermarket muffler primarily, but would also consider a cat-back system. Let me know what you have - I don't want anything loud. So far I've been primarily looking at muffler only setups with a possible resonator delete - Magnaflow, Rogue Ikon, Scorpion, Dinan, Vibrant, BMW Performance, Remus. I'm in the Philadelphia area. Let me know thanks!

I don't have any for sale, but you might want to figure out which setup you want in particular. There are a fair number of aftermarket options and the exhaust sounds vary widely.

One cheaper option is the Vibrant Performance exhaust muffler. A handful of members went this route. You can read about it here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...rmance-Exhaust

Just my $0.02

Hi - thanks for the reply. I have listened to a lot of sound clips for a lot of different systems. I'm open to many of them just don't want something loud and obnoxious. I am aware of Vibrant, looked into them a bit, but most if not all those who install one on an E46 use the all black model which I don't want. Haven't been able to figure what if any of their stainless products would fit

I, and a few other members, have the UUC Corsa TSE3 exhaust. Some people think it's one of the best catback exhaust systems for the E46, but they're harder to find used for cheap as a result. I personally wouldn't waste the money buying new since the performance gains are negligible. I quite like mine (I got it used), but it's a little on the loud side. Here's how mine sounds on a cold start with a few revs

My recent impressions:
    • Start up: Start up is definitely louder than stock, and I'm sure it'll be even louder in colder weather. You could not make an inconspicuous get away in the middle of the night with this exhaust. After starting the car and warming up, the exhaust will become quieter at idle, almost stock. You can hear this in the above video.
    • Volume: The TSE3 is much louder than the stock exhaust. Above 2,500 rpm with any significant throttle input, you know you have a different exhaust. Oddly, to my ears, the volume sort of peaks at about 4,500 RPM and then sort of levels out above that. Just cruising along at a constant speed, the exhaust is only slightly louder than the stock exhaust, similar enough not to notice. At wide open throttle (WOT) though, it is loud.
    • Exhaust note: It is coarser, and somewhat less refined than the stock exhaust. That's not a negative necessarily, just depends what you're looking for in an exhaust note. It is a much deeper sound, almost a bark vs a higher pitched "whine" of the stock exhaust.
    • Drone: Pretty much nonexistent. You hear the exhaust a little more than stock at highway speeds, but really not much and it does not drone in the classical sense. You're just a little more aware of the engine.
    • Crackles, burbles, pops: I didn't notice this much on Daniel's exhaust when I rode in his car, but mine definitely pops and burbles and crackles when the engine is at very little or off throttle at low RPMs (<1,500 RPM). I noticed this most when the MPG gauge reads ~50 MPG, when the ECU is feeding the engine just little bits of gas to keep it going.
    • Weight savings: When installing the exhaust, it definitely weighed a little less than the stock exhaust, but how much I couldn't say. UUC states the TSE3 is "substantially lighter than the original exhaust" (link), but I've never found literature that gives a numerical value to that claim. I'd guess maybe 20 lbs lighter than the stock exhaust at best.
    • Open vs. closed windows: I'm not sure if my "custom" added insulation to my car has really worked or if the cabin was that good at insulating sound to begin with, but the exhaust is much quieter with the windows rolled up than down. The TSE3 is still appreciably louder than the stock exhaust with the windows up, but the volume is not overwhelming or obnoxious, and sounds great under acceleration.
    • Current overall opinion: I'm torn. I love the sound, it's the right level of aggressive but not too unrefined. I like the crackles and burbles although it seems a little juvenile. The volume is what I am still having issues with. I'm not the type of person that wants an overly loud "look at me, bro" exhaust that makes people turn heads and think *look at this asshole.* For the most part, this exhaust isn't that, but I do wish it were a little quieter in the lower RPMs, say below 3,000. I just don't enjoy being almost self conscious about the noise I produce, although I have yet to notice anyone really turn their head toward my car when I drive by, even when I'm driving moderately spiritedly. What's interesting is that so far I haven't told any of my friends that I've replaced the exhaust and not one of them have asked if something is different about the car. So for now, I'll keep it on. We'll see how I feel in the future.
    Last edited by BMWCurves; 08-07-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Almost commented my opinion of exhaust but I don't want to start an opinion war. Good luck
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

The BMW Performance muffler sounds like what you are looking for, but they are very expensive now.

Here is the closest stainless Vibrant muffler to the flat black muffler that I and other members have installed:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=3553

The stainless tips are a little longer and double walled instead of single wall. Personally I would prefer a 3" inlet but I don't think it makes a big difference at stock power levels.

Since you are trying to keep things quiet, you should probably leave the resonators in your exhaust.

5/2003 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP
    - Sedan :: 6MT :: Style 68 -
    h&r | drvanos | koni | active autowerke | vibrant | akg | turner

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of this Streetpower 1024 installed? Do the tips extend out past the lower valence? If not, was it anymore difficult to install as I'm guessing it would have to be set that much more forward to accommodate the longer tips, and it is already a tight bend into the inlet...

Also, did you buy a pre fabbed 2-1 merge collector? THX

Quote Originally Posted by mikay View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of this Streetpower 1024 installed? Do the tips extend out past the lower valence? If not, was it anymore difficult to install as I'm guessing it would have to be set that much more forward to accommodate the longer tips, and it is already a tight bend into the inlet...

Also, did you buy a pre fabbed 2-1 merge collector? THX
    Unfortunately I don't have any first-hand experience with the stainless #1024 muffler. For reference though, the tips of the flat black muffler are 5" long. Since it's a universal product I'm sure you can work with whatever muffler shop you like to deal with to position it where you want it.

I did not buy a pre-fabbed 2-1 merge pipe. I wanted to order one from Burns for a better transition, but the amount of space at the exhaust termination is extremely cramped (as you mentioned) and found I could not safely rely on buying something sight unseen where precise fitment is needed. I just let my muffler shop make a y-pipe for me in the process of installing mine.

In contrast, I believe all that the BMW Performance muffler needs is the old one to be cut off since the BMWP piece came with slip-fit flanges.

5/2003 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP
    - Sedan :: 6MT :: Style 68 -
    h&r | drvanos | koni | active autowerke | vibrant | akg | turner

Borla exhaust off ecstuning does me justice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shop Advance Auto Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolff_ii View Post
    Borla exhaust off ecstuning does me justice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have any sound clips of yours. Borla would be my second choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast