Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You guys never fail when ever I come calling, thanks so much for all the detailed responses! I'm thinking I'll opt for the Beisian kit after all, can anyone point me in the direction of what the rattle truly sounds like? I'm not sure what to be looking for, I'll be tackling my oil level sensor and and oil filter housing gasket today and next weekend I'll be doing the Vanos, VCG, Sparkplugs and inspecting my coils!

I just want to be sure I dont need the rattle kit

You guys are the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the rattle should be noticeable around 2200rpm and should sound, well, like a baby rattle against an engine.

i personally would do it if i were you. just to be done with it and for peace of mind.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by ZHP_Brandon View Post
    You guys never fail when ever I come calling, thanks so much for all the detailed responses! I'm thinking I'll opt for the Beisian kit after all, can anyone point me in the direction of what the rattle truly sounds like? I'm not sure what to be looking for, I'll be tackling my oil level sensor and and oil filter housing gasket today and next weekend I'll be doing the Vanos, VCG, Sparkplugs and inspecting my coils!

I just want to be sure I dont need the rattle kit

You guys are the best

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post

What in gods green earth did I just hear lmfao

I thought my vanos was rattling out of fear....... but WOW does that sound bad.

And pardon my lack of drive to go on youtube, there are so many videos but those two were just... insane lol

But yet again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I agree. I've done both. Depends on your skill, desires, and checkbook.

Photos credit to Novaphotog

If you go Dr. V, be sure to lacquer the two whatchamajiggers (assist needed) as they will rust.
    Great shot

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

So because of family, I've had to hault purchase of my kit but I'm finally ready to do the job..

In my research I stumbled upon this

BMW DUAL VANOS O-Ring Seal Repair Kit E36 E39 E46 E53 E60 E83 E85 M52tu M54 M56 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMG9O1O..._U4WPzb5T0QMS0

This kit has everything necessary to do the job minus the anti rattle kit that I'll be purchasing for peace of mind in the long haul.

Now, do I truly need the soft vice jaw liner that Beisian Systems offers on there site for 5$?

To my understanding, the kit is offered in Buton materials, as per Beisians standard, and comes with 10x as many necessary replaceable parts as Beisian does..

For 125$ + Shipping&Tax, you only get the O-Rings, Anti Rattle Washers, and Soft Vice Jaw thing....

With 60$ (Not including the anti rattle), you get the following (Took this from the amazon product description)

"Teflon seal rings with brown viton o-rings
    Vanos Blind Plugs with upgraded brown Viton o-rings 11361433513
    Seal Rings 14 X 20 32411093596
    Vanos Unit Fit Bolts 11361748745
    Gasket - Vanos/Camshaft Cover on Cylinder Head 11361433817 and Vanos Unit Piston Housing Seals When you disassemble the vanos unit to replace the piston seals there is a metal seal between the housing and the covers that bolt to the housing. I had these seals manufactured specifically for the, no one else has these seals. I felt that if someone was going to all the trouble to replace the seals it makes sense to properly re-seal the housing."

This kit was used by 50sKid from Youtube, he just didn't include the anti rattle kit link.

Any thoughts on the contents?

Just looking for some final thoughts from my experienced Familia

Don't know the other answers, but it is nice to have the soft vice grips.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I went with Dr. Vanos for the same reason - direct bolt-on. I didn't have a vise at the time and was worried I'd bend, break, or otherwise mess something up. Not an option on a daily driver! I will say though that the new unit developed an occasional rattle (only when cold at like 2100 rpm) after about 5k miles. Otherwise it works great with no rattle.

Yea my DR vanos is rattling bad now... got 6 years and probably 80K out of it...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 04TitanSilber View Post
    I went with Dr. Vanos for the same reason - direct bolt-on. I didn't have a vise at the time and was worried I'd bend, break, or otherwise mess something up. Not an option on a daily driver! I will say though that the new unit developed an occasional rattle (only when cold at like 2100 rpm) after about 5k miles. Otherwise it works great with no rattle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Yea my DR vanos is rattling bad now... got 6 years and probably 80K out of it...
    I thought Dr. Vanos was supposed to have new bearings that were supposed to eliminate and prevent the VANOS rattle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast