Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Outer vs. Inner tie-rod

My outer tie rod ends pretty easily rotate when I grab them and twist - even with car not in the air. Thinking I'll try to just do the outer tie rod ends...but was wondering if after 110k miles are they going to be basically seized to the inner tie rods and not worth the hassle to get separated...in which case I'd just do the whole tie rod.

Any advice here?

I've replaced the inner and outer recently... was not too difficult to separate on my car atleast but I would recommend replacing them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I've replaced the inner and outer recently... was not too difficult to separate on my car atleast but I would recommend replacing them both.

Thanks. Any specific symptoms that lead you to replace them...and how was the car after the new tie rods? I'm trying to identify some subtle noises on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post
    Thanks. Any specific symptoms that lead you to replace them...and how was the car after the new tie rods? I'm trying to identify some subtle noises on my car.
    The steering was reacting quite violently to any bumps on the roads and also there was a lot of ply in the tie rods. Don't think my car made any noises. Also the steering became much much lighter, which I wasn't expecting as I thought I had a bad power steering pump...

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Replace both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Absolutely the entire tie rod. The cost and labor is difference is negligible. Actually, replacing the entire tie rod is probably easier than just replacing the outer ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludsport View Post
    Absolutely the entire tie rod. The cost and labor is difference is negligible. Actually, replacing the entire tie rod is probably easier than just replacing the outer ends.
    it absolutely is a lot easier. i've got tie rods to replace on the black Touring tomorrow - hoping to get both done in an hour. should be doable.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Outer vs. Inner tie-rod

Quote Originally Posted by Bludsport View Post
    Not sure if I would go that far.. But definitely do both inner and outers if there original. At the same time you should put on some new boots/ don't forget to order the clamps that hold the boots in place.

Considering you'll need an alignment after this why not just replace the entire tie rod and be done with it. Don't cheap out and get a good brand such as Lemforder.

I did both inner and outer. IMO, it wasn't necessary as there's no difference in steering before vs. after. The inner tie rod is a metal ball bearing which looks like it would have been good for another 100k miles. The outer part of the rod that connects to the wheel carrier barely felt any different from the new to the old.

Not a big deal - pretty cheap part - but wanted to update the thread. Install was pretty straightforward. Make sure you have at least 1 larger adjustable wrench. Getting the old tie rod apart (inner from outer) to re-use the boot wasn't an issue at all. Glad I had the ball joint separator for getting off the old out tie-rod.