Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool Fix for Airbag light (airbag bypass)

I recently purchased a used 04 ZHP sedan with 115,000 miles on it. The owner told me that it had an intermittent airbag light that would come on after someone sat in the pass. seat and the light would clear randomly. I got him to take $200 off the asking price. The previous owners records showed that the passenger seat occupancy mat was replaced at 49,000 miles.

I didn't want to take the whole seat apart so I installed a Passenger seat occupancy mat bypass module.

Installation consisted of cutting the pass airbag mat wires loose and splicing the bypass module. After this was done the airbag light has not come back on. My airbag light was off when I installed the bypass. The airbagRX website states you may have to have a dealer clear the airbag light.

I purchased the bypass at http://www.airbagrx.com/

I hope this helps anyone with this problem.

I have this same problem and its very annoying. Anyone who sits in the passenger seat always thinks something is wrong with their airbag haha. Anyway thanks for the advice!!

Sooo now the airbag really doesnt work??

I've considered doing this too, but have yet to find a definitive answer on whether the airbag will always deploy or not. I think the bypass module's electronics emulate the resistance of a passenger so the airbag will always be deployed; does anyone know for certain?

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by gr330zhp View Post
    Sooo now the airbag really doesnt work??
    No- bypass tricks the computer into thinking someone is sitting there, so it fires no matter what.

Looks like a pretty good option for someone who doesn't feel like tearing the seat apart.

Bookmarked the website for the future.

Nice find, Blue- thanks for posting.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    I've considered doing this too, but have yet to find a definitive answer on whether the airbag will always deploy or not. I think the bypass module's electronics emulate the resistance of a passenger so the airbag will always be deployed; does anyone know for certain?
    Correct. According to their website the bag will always fire regardless of occupancy.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Correct. According to their website the bag will always fire regardless of occupancy.
    Perfect! Now to dig up the DIY to put together the correct resistors & other bits. (I always love soldering my own electronics. )

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

The "con" to this is that in any accident you have....BOTH airbags will go off.......vice just the one side. Your car always thinks someone is sitting over there in the passenger seat. The occupancy sensor is there to save a $3k airbag, should no one be sitting there, when you get into an accident.

I recommend fix the problem correctly...in the long term.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ahhhhh I see. BMW had replaced my mat at 30k i believe, luckily it was under factory warranty. Hopefully wont nned another

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Autozone.com
    A little off topic, but do our passenger airbags have the weight sensors that manage deployment if a kid is in the passenger seat?
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast