Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Premature Tierod failure?

I purchased and installed new Lemforder tierods sometimes in late 2015 early 2016, so they can't have more than 40k miles. Most likely way less, but looking at the videos and my experience they feel crazy loose. Any thoughts on where I can look to make sure it isn't anything else? I replaced the springs, struts, etc. in 2016 I believe, Smiles aka Brakeyourself gave me an awesome deal on BC Coils. Control arms and bushings were replaced two weeks ago. Below are some videos, hopefully they help.

Are you should it's not loose ball joints?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

They should be new. Is that still a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by BustedBoat View Post
    They should be new. Is that still a possibility?
    Need to start somewhere...
    Try prying at stuff with a big pry bar. Rule out things as you go. Listen very closely to where the sound is actually coming from.
    Stupid question but it must be asked; are you sure everything was tightened properly? Take the wheel off, then wiggle... does it make sound? Work your way in, wiggling stuff to see if at any point it stops.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

From the last video it appears the play is in the rack, you replaced the entire tie rod or just the outer (tie rod ends) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To check tie rods, remove the wheel and try to turn/twist the tie rod. If it moves then they are bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Feels like it's the steering wheel moving is all.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I have recently done everything in the front-end except tie rods and sway bar bushings. My car has 110k miles. The popping noise in your video is something I can hear on rare occasions. Tie rods sound like a good bet, though it's odd they seem to be failing so quickly. As mentioned above, did you do inner and outer tie rods?

You did the control arms and bushings two weeks ago - have you gotten an alignment yet? If no, that could explain feeling a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Feels like it's the steering wheel moving is all.
    It could be. OP needs to have someone sit in the drivers seat and hold the steering wheel still while he does the wheel test.

Yes, or leave other wheel on the ground.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast