Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rust Advice ZHP

Rust Advice ZHP

I bought an 05, clean 55k mile ZHP a couple of months ago. Washing the car yesterday, I noticed some light rust on the driver side quarter panel arch. I want to take care of the issue, so I got an estimate at a local body shop. I was quoted to prep and repaint the entire QP, blend the rear door, and respray the rear bumper while we're at it. I was quoted $900...

My question is, is it worth it? I want to say yeah given the low mileage and overall very nice condition of the car. I am also trying to budget for repairs and maintenance. Spent $2000 last month for tires, alignment, all fluids, and fuel, air, cabin filters.
    Last edited by A1Gio2; 09-01-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Fix the rust before it spreads.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

A more descriptive thread title would help other members find the topic at hand.
    You don't say where you are located, but that estimate is not out of line for bodywork here in the Washington DC area. I was quoted $600-800 just to respray the rear bumper cover. Do it, as rust only gets worse.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Fix the rust before it spreads.
    +1 rust will never get better with time.

I'm located in NY. My concern is, will the rust come back in 3 months? The rust now is minimal, and I won't be driving this car in the winter. I have a beater for the NY/NJ salty winters. Obviously rust work is never gauaranteed, I just wanted to know if it's worth spending that kind of coin. I believe that QP was painted already at some point and maybe some galvanizing was removed during that process leading to the rust I see today.

I don't see any other rust, anywhere on the car at this point. I'd hate to fix the QP and have the other side rust or have the rust return. This is my conflict and why I'm seeking the advice of the forum.

Rust is like cancer. Bodywork is like remission. It may go away for now and come back, or it may be gone forever. Nobody knows. The only difference between rust and cancer is that with rust, there is no chance of it going away on its own; it only gets worse, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

Whether it's worth spending money on is entirely up to you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Is the rust to the point where there is perforation in the metal? If that is the case, then the old metal has to be cut out and new metal put in place.

If it is just surface rust, it can be fixed by grinding down to the bare metal, applying self etching primer, and then paint/clear. If done correctly, rust will not be an issue in the future.

Post a pic

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Rust is minor and surface rust only. It's on the lower arch, affecting the area from where it meets the molding on the bottom to about 5 inches up the arch. I don't think it's any worse than that or anywhere near rotted.

This is a great looking car and I'd say it's in great condition with the exception of this issue and the bumpers needing to be retouched.

I am unable for the life of me to upload a pic on this site. I've tried every way. Is there a posting amount restriction?
    If I email it to someone can they post it for me?

I often just upload an image to imgur.com. You don't need an account to do so, and once the photo is uploaded via drag-and-drop, under "sharing links" it produces BB Code that works on this forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast