Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rust Advice ZHP

Yeah, get it fixed and, then, get yourself a beater to drive through the the winter, and baby that gorgeous car. It’ll last you forever that way.

My car is turning into a rust bucket with rust popping out on the rear arches and front rocker panel. I was quoted a few thousand to fix it. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice? At first, I was thinking of fixing it, but then I had second thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    My car is turning into a rust bucket with rust popping out on the rear arches and front rocker panel. I was quoted a few thousand to fix it. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice? At first, I was thinking of fixing it, but then I had second thoughts.
    How much do you think your car is worth? If the repair cost is a large % of that then I don’t think it makes it worth it unless you plan to keep the car for a very very long time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    How much do you think your car is worth? If the repair cost is a large % of that then I don’t think it makes it worth it unless you plan to keep the car for a very very long time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's probably worth ~$7,000, so it would be a large percentage. I was planning on keeping the car for a bit of time. Also, I'm not sure I would want to drive it around with all the rust if it wasn't repaired.

If the repair was done, it would probably be a good idea to throw it on summer duty and find a winter car. And I wasn't planning on doing that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Did you already do the subframe reinforcement? If yes I’d probably address the rust.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

That amount of visible rust guarantees much more invisible rust. Invest your money in a different, rust-free ZHP, and use the rust- bucket through the next winter.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Yeah, unfortunately rust is really pricey to fix. If it was on an easily replaceable panel, such as a fender (that can be found in the same color, no less), then that's a different story. But, places such as the rear arches requires cutting it out and welding on new metal, which gets pricey.

For a dollar-coin sized hole on my E39's side skirt (which is metal, part of the body), it's going to cost almost a grand to fix. On a car that cost $2k.
    Whether it's worth it is entirely up to you, but you have multiple spots unfortunately.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123