Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Let's Talk Rock Chips

Little ones, big ones, I've got rock chips all over the front of the car. Probably due to the vehicle's previous life as a mountain car. What are some recommended ways of getting rid of rock chips without having to pay an arm and a leg to get the hood resprayed? Has anyone found a product they really like?

This is for an Imola sedan, btw. Thanks!

Dr. Colorchip.

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

i think a lot of people just use Dr. Colorchip. It's easy to use. But still, you can tell they are still there if you're up close but it looks better from a little farther away. I prefer to use the OE paint one but that one is more tedious to do. Since you typically want to wet sand, then apply, and keep repeating that before you clear it. If you use the OE one and just paint it on, it never looks good lol Just looks like a bright spot now instead of the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan View Post
    Little ones, big ones, I've got rock chips all over the front of the car. Probably due to the vehicle's previous life as a mountain car. What are some recommended ways of getting rid of rock chips without having to pay an arm and a leg to get the hood resprayed? Has anyone found a product they really like?

This is for an Imola sedan, btw. Thanks!
    Respray really is it, because...

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Dr. Colorchip.

Sent from my S8+
    ... this doesn't seem to last, at least in my experience. I had DRC'd my entire hood and it was just as peppered-looking within a couple of months as it was before.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I bought BMW's "Color System" touch-up paint a little while ago for correct paint color. Comes with a clear coat as well. I plan to apply it in a similar fashion as the guy in this video. Then hopefully in the near future I will get a ceramic coating for the car to seal it all in.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-touch-up-car/

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Respray really is it, because...

... this doesn't seem to last, at least in my experience. I had DRC'd my entire hood and it was just as peppered-looking within a couple of months as it was before.
    New chips or did the paint fall out?

Time and care must be taken in properly preparing the chip to receive paint.

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    New chips or did the paint fall out?
    I think a lot of it was fallen out paint, or the same exact spots re-chipped. I saw very few filled in chips when I inspected it despite there being easily dozens of filled in chips when I did the operation.

Time and care must be taken in properly preparing the chip to receive paint.
    Anything past stripping wax/sealant and cleaning very well with paint prep wipes prior to application is just too much work to make it worthwhile, IMO... at least for a car like mine. One with just a few small chips is no problem, but for those who drive a lot, it's a serious amount of work to stay on top of.

Will definitely be getting film installed when (if) the car gets resprayed.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

The PO of my car threw in a Dr color chip. From what I've read DRC works best on darker colors. I think OG, MB and blacks would work pretty well. Whites and silvers, probably not as well. IR i think is right in the middle of the spectrum. Theres a video on youtube showing some different techniques. Ive got tons of little tiny white marks on the hood. I ordered their squeegee so that I could drag it over the areas with tiny nicks. It seems like the best way of filling them in in a decent amount of time and evenly.

Edit:
    Here it is....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDUQQkCm74&t=852s

Save your money and spend it on a repaint.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I have used Dr color chip but I don't use the "smear it all over the place" method. I had very little luck with it. I just dab it with some very small brushes.

https://youtu.be/Uz-zW-cLdUs
    I found this video and the tool he used for the rock chips seems like a really good idea so I might try it in the future to compare.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk