Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

YES YOU CAN!! (replace your fuel pump with a full tank)

Just wanted to let any worried E46 owners know that you absolutely can replace your fuel pump without creating an environmental disaster. I literally had 3 miles on a new tank when my fuel pumped failed. After searching around I got worried because a bunch of people were saying OMG DON'T DO IT ON A FULL TANK!! It'll spill everywhere, they said. Your car will smell like gas forever, they said. Jack up one side of the car first , they said. Drain the tank, they said.

I just replaced the fuel pump on a completely full tank and barely spilled a drop. The tank was to the brim but never overflowed, even when submerging the new pump. I also second others' comments that it's an easy job, and would recommend doing it as a maintenance item before you get stranded like I did. I have an 04 with 83k miles.

I always thought it was easier to do with an empty tank not impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by 04TitanSilber View Post
    Just wanted to let any worried E46 owners know that you absolutely can replace your fuel pump without creating an environmental disaster. I literally had 3 miles on a new tank when my fuel pumped failed. After searching around I got worried because a bunch of people were saying OMG DON'T DO IT ON A FULL TANK!! It'll spill everywhere, they said. Your car will smell like gas forever, they said. Jack up one side of the car first , they said. Drain the tank, they said.

I just replaced the fuel pump on a completely full tank and barely spilled a drop. The tank was to the brim but never overflowed, even when submerging the new pump. I also second others' comments that it's an easy job, and would recommend doing it as a maintenance item before you get stranded like I did. I have an 04 with 83k miles.
    Good to know. Makes sense I think--not like a full tank is pressurized or actually over full...

Glad you got it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I always thought it was easier to do with an empty tank not impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    May be easier, but can be done full?

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim