Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

For those who dare to lower themselves (ride height!)

After the suspension refresh I just completed, I need to adjust my ride height. I think it's a bit too low in the front right now, so I've been doing a little research on the ZHP's factory ride height but I've had a little trouble nailing down any definitive answers. I was hoping that some of you who may have lowered their ride height could shed a little ray of light on this subject.

I read the thread started here from 2012 about ride height http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...HP-Ride-Height, plus a couple of other random threads posted on other BMW forums, but I'm still am a little confused as there are still some discrepancies based on measurements taken by various ZHP owners.

I should clarify!

I don't really care what the factory ride height is, because I intend to lower it anyway. With that said, it appears that the original ride height is a bit higher in the front than it is in the rear. I took a little picture from a 2006 BMW brochure with dimensions and imported it into Sketchup, then scaled it as best I could:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 12.02.41 PM.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  43.2 KB

The measurements aren't exact, but they're pretty damn close. Anyway, the stock ride height for the front appears to be about 23.39", with the rear being about 1.16" lower at 22.23". Right now, my cars sitting about 3/4" lower than stock in the rear and a little over 1.5" lower than stock in the front. Way too low cuz at this height, I'll be going through front bumpers at the rate of at least one a month. I was thinking of just splitting the difference and going 1" lower on all 4 corners, but I was curious as to why factory chose to make the ride height in the rear lower than the front, and if I should maintain this percentage of difference from front to rear, or if it makes any difference at all.

So for those who have lowered, how did you work this out? How low did you go and did you maintain the height difference from front to rear?

The rear is lower so that there isn't a crazy rake in the car's profile. If you raised the rear to the front heights, the whole front of the car would be slanted downwards.

I set my height so that I can fit between one and two fingers stacked on top of each other in between the tire and the fender.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The rear is lower so that there isn't a crazy rake in the car's profile. If you raised the rear to the front heights, the whole front of the car would be slanted downwards.

I set my height so that I can fit between one and two fingers stacked on top of each other in between the tire and the fender.
    4 wheel drive mode huh

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Daily driven usability mode huh

Sent from my S8+
    Fixed.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post

That makes sense. I figured it had something to do with aesthetics rather than something practical like a handling issue. I'll take your advice, but since I don't have a clue how fat your fingers could be , I'll just drop all 4 corners about an inch and everything should work out fine.

Giving the car a little rake is extremely worth it to get rid of the massive difference in fender gap
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
    Giving the car a little rake is extremely worth it to get rid of the massive difference in fender gap
    A little rake, you say?
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

if you follow the trim down the side of the car, in relation to the wheel openings, you'll see the front is higher, and the car already has some rake from the factory.

one thing you want to watch out for is losing too much suspension travel.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Bludsport View Post
    That makes sense. I figured it had something to do with aesthetics rather than something practical like a handling issue. I'll take your advice, but since I don't have a clue how fat your fingers could be , I'll just drop all 4 corners about an inch and everything should work out fine.
    Not that fat lol
    I wouldn't know how my ride height compares to stock because I bought the car with a static lowered setup. I replaced it with PSS10's last year.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    if you follow the trim down the side of the car, in relation to the wheel openings, you'll see the front is higher, and the car already has some rake from the factory.

one thing you want to watch out for is losing too much suspension travel.
    One of BMW's mottos was "form follows function". I like to stick to this the best I can.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

For those who dare to lower themselves (ride height!)

I tend to favor lowered cars and have been told by many that my ZHP is slammed. You can’t fit a finger because my tires (front and rear) are tucked into my wheel wells.

I prefer this look and tend to “cruise” in my ZHP when driving...

My M3 is set up so there’s about a finger-width gap between my tires and the fender. Car looks stunning (a few people here on this forum have seen my M3 in person)

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk Pro