Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

3rd gear hesitation or something...

My car only does this in 3rd gear, and its very random but doing it more often than not at this point. This happens during acceleration, never while cruising. I have to shift into 3rd from 2nd to make it happen, never on downshifts. I wouldn't call it a hesitation per say...it almost feels as tho its coming from the back end too, but that could be BS. The car doesn't bounce, but it feels like something is lumpy.

The only reason I mention it is because I had a passenger ask me WTF is wrong with my car today, and I have been used to it for some time now. Any ideas? Nothing seems weird when I put it on a lift. Nothing leaks. I'm worried its transmission/diff related.

Any Ideas or anyone heard of this?
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Is it immediately during engagement of the gear, or after you are in 3rd gear for a second or two?
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

How does your diff bushing look?

If you shift at a higher rpm does it still do it?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Does not do it at higher RPMs, it does it about a second or two after I shift into 3rd. If I shift at higher RPMs things are a-ok!
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Are you absolutely convinced it's not engine hesitation? 3rd gear between 2,800 - 3,000rpms is where my hesitation problem is most apparent. It's there in the higher gears as well, but the rate at which the car pulses is reduced so it's harder to notice. But your situation does seem to fit the scenario.

I'd suggest that you try a rev-sweep in 3rd, and notice when it starts and how long it lasts. See if it starts at the same RPMs every time. See if it makes a difference whether you're at full throttle acceleration or part-throttle acceleration. If you find one consistent method that produces the symptoms the same way every time, I'll bet it is actually the firmware gremlin.

Zebra Horse Power - PSA: The Hypermiling Thread
    Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

Thanks. I know that its only under part-throttle acceleration, never when I floor it. I will report back after lunch, I'm going to drive her around and see if I can get a more solid scenario for you guys.

I'm thinking Vanos... Try with your AC on and see if it gets worse.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I didn't see the post about the A/C til now, but when I drove around I noticed its between 2500-3500 RPM at partial throttle. WOT it doesn't do it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast