Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    Come to Atlanta, I have a guy that will paint your whole car, fill and smooth any dings, primer the car and paint 5 base coats and 3 coats of clear for probably around $1300-$1500 as long as there isnt any major damage and you arent doing a color change.
    There's really no damage to speak of and it doesn't show up in photos. It's just that rear quarter panels were poorly repaired and re-sprayed at one time and the color is slightly off. It's weird because it appears that the damage to both rear quarter panels was almost exactly the same on both sides, like the car got caught in an automatically closing gate or something. Both the bumpers were also re-sprayed at one time with about the same results. A friend of mine has one of those paint density scanners and the rest of the paint appears to be factory, but it's covered in very fine scratches and most are throught the clear. I think this may have happened in shipping.

I was going to have the bumpers and rear quarter panels leveled out and re-sprayed to match, then have the rest of the body wet sanded and either buffed out or re-cleared. After thinking about this a bit, I doubt a full re-spray in the original color would cost any more.

How long did this guy take to finish your car?

My ZHP has many small spots in the clear-coat on the hood, roof and trunk--probably tree sap or bird shit (previous owner's doing--not mine). A local place in central Vermont withh a good reputation quoted me $1,800 to do the hood, roof, and trunk in the same color (Jet Black). They quoted me $7,000 to do the whole car. I would LOVE to spend only a few grand on a complete, respectable job...

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    My ZHP has many small spots in the clear-coat on the hood, roof and trunk--probably tree sap or bird shit (previous owner's doing--not mine). A local place in central Vermont withh a good reputation quoted me $1,800 to do the hood, roof, and trunk in the same color (Jet Black). They quoted me $7,000 to do the whole car. I would LOVE to spend only a few grand on a complete, respectable job...
    Just a thought, but could you wait for a JB part out and snag the hood and trunk, and then just get the roof redone? I'm thinking that because you're not comparing the roof to any immediately adjacent panels, it won't have to be done with a 100% perfect match. What I'm saying is, you have a bit of elbow room when it comes to the finished product.

That's a good thought... I'll investigate pricing on hoods and trunks. One problem might be that most hoods are going to have a fair number of dings.

That's a good thought... I'll investigate pricing on hoods and trunks. One problem might be that most hoods are going to have a fair number of dings.
    I don't see dings on hoods very often. I usually see them on doors from door-banging incidents at the parking lot. I think you'll be okay.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I'll keep an eye out for JB part outs in the northeast. Any really its the spots on the clear coat thats the issue. Even if the hood you find has some scratches, a good weekend with a buffer should go a long way. Then again, 1800 for all three panels to be done, doesn't sound too terrible. So it would only make sense if you can get the hood an trunk for a couple of hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    Can you post some pics of the damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My clear coat was just fading. On the trunk it was literally peeling. Above the mirrors and door handles it was gone a long time, and above the rear pillars it was also going

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    Come to Atlanta, I have a guy that will paint your whole car, fill and smooth any dings, primer the car and paint 5 base coats and 3 coats of clear for probably around $1300-$1500 as long as there isnt any major damage and you arent doing a color change.
    I just might do this when I'm ready for a respray. I was going to get just the front clip done but I have a ding on the roof so what the hell... for that price, I might as well get the whole car done...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I just might do this when I'm ready for a respray. I was going to get just the front clip done but I have a ding on the roof so what the hell... for that price, I might as well get the whole car done...
    I've never been to Atlanta...

Quote Originally Posted by Bludsport View Post
    There's really no damage to speak of and it doesn't show up in photos. It's just that rear quarter panels were poorly repaired and re-sprayed at one time and the color is slightly off. It's weird because it appears that the damage to both rear quarter panels was almost exactly the same on both sides, like the car got caught in an automatically closing gate or something. Both the bumpers were also re-sprayed at one time with about the same results. A friend of mine has one of those paint density scanners and the rest of the paint appears to be factory, but it's covered in very fine scratches and most are throught the clear. I think this may have happened in shipping.

I was going to have the bumpers and rear quarter panels leveled out and re-sprayed to match, then have the rest of the body wet sanded and either buffed out or re-cleared. After thinking about this a bit, I doubt a full re-spray in the original color would cost any more.

How long did this guy take to finish your car?
    a little over 1 week. he only works at nights. he started with marking all the spots where dings were, then fill them all in, then primered whole car, wet sanded, painted base coats 4-5 i believe, then sprayed clear coat, 2-3 i believe. waited for paint to cure then performed a buff polish service and then sealed it up with sonax cc36 ceramic coating.

had take left over paint and clear coat and mix me up 3 medium bottles of paint matched touch up paint. nice to have as well.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast