Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Help.. knocking or creaking sound from the rear

So I'm getting this knocking/creaking sound from the rear when I take off from a standstill. Doesn't happen all the time, but usually when weight shifts from front to back. I just did the RTAB's, rear sway bar bushings and endlinks, which did not fix the problem. Planning to do the rear shock mounts next, but I am wondering if that does not fix it, what else could it be? Any help would be appreciated.

Rear diff bushing comes to mind... notorious failure point...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Rear diff bushing comes to mind... notorious failure point...
    +1, definitely the big ol' fat rear diff bushing.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

When I did shocks/stuts/mounts/reinforcement plates at 110k miles I eliminated a lot of noise I was getting while going over bumps, however I wasn't getting any noises based on a little weight transfer (i.e. getting moving). Can you get a video of the noise?

When you do the rear shock mounts , remove the shocks and test drive it to see if it affects the noise.

just did the rear shock mounts and the noise is still there. good news is my mechanic said he saw a crack in the rear diff bushing, the rear one. so i guess im gonna replace that next. question is what else should be replaced at the same time to save on labor cost?
    2004 TiAg 330i ZHP 6spd

might as well replace the two front diff bushings... nothing else bushing related has to come apart for that other than the rear sway bar bushings.

You should have him check your subframe mounts for cracks while he's under there though. If he's worked on a lot of e46's then he should know about that
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

did the rear diff bushings and the noise is gone. thanks guys.
    2004 TiAg 330i ZHP 6spd