Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't find leaking area in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire

I think after I hit a small bump on the road over the weekend at 70mph and the TMPS sensor(red icon) on the dash came on soon.
    After 20 minutes of driving to a safe place I was at 27psi on my passenger front tire. These tires only had 4k miles on them, got them at Discount Tires.

I inflate it on Sunday to 33psi cold and it is down to 26psi cold on Wednes, so I took it to different local tire repair shop to submerge it in water and we found no bubbles. There are no visible nails. It's strange as the TMPS came on more often every week now, instead of every few months of normal use.

I think it's a hole somewhere in the tire or the wheel that is not visible. I'll ask Discount Tires to inspect the individual tire and wheel separately for the leak source. Any other ideas? thanks

I had a similar small air leak and found that my rim had a crack on the edge. Wasn't easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

They'll spray it with soapy water or dunk it in a tire tub. Hopefully it's easy to find & a cheap remedy for you!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I had one that was doing it last winter. I’m thinking it was a rim crack but can’t confirm. It’s been holing it’s own this summer. We’ll have to see what happens when the temps drop...

Try a different shop?

Most likely, a cracked rim like everyone else said. They usually are perpendicular to the edge of the wheel, travel through the lip and are on the inner lip of the wheel, making it very difficult to see without taking the wheel off the car.
    If it is cracked, it can be repaired. I had one with two cracks in it fixed about 7 years ago and it's still good
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Most likely, a cracked rim like everyone else said. They usually are perpendicular to the edge of the wheel, travel through the lip and are on the inner lip of the wheel, making it very difficult to see without taking the wheel off the car.
    If it is cracked, it can be repaired. I had one with two cracks in it fixed about 7 years ago and it's still good

I'm taking it into Discount Tires in 5 hours. If it is a cracked rim, DT says it might be about $120 to $150 to fix the crack rim and 2 days turnaround. It sounds like it is a permanent fix so I'm not against doing it.

I think it cost me about $130 at the time... maybe 7 yrs ago. That included refinishing the wheel too so when I got it back, it looked brand new.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

It cost me about $130 as well about 2 years ago and they did a semi refinishing job, where in they just painted the entire rear side of the wheel to hide the weld..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I think it cost me about $130 at the time... maybe 7 yrs ago. That included refinishing the wheel too so when I got it back, it looked brand new.
    Just had a BBS CH straightened and refinished for 190 bucks. Schwacked a pot hole pretty damn hard. And for BP, it was in CT, not during my commute to the sewer that is NYC.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Problem solved.

DT found a very small nail(more like a pin) in the rubber. They had to take the tire off the wheel to see it, that is why there is no bubbles out of the prior water test. Thank goodness that I got my tires at DT. It cost me $0 for sealing the tire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast