Thread: Hizpo Android 7.1 head Unit

Hizpo Android 7.1 head Unit

been wanting a unit like this since I saw the Eonon 5150 back in the day. i know right now for a little over $350 - $400 you can pick up an Eonon or similar unit off Alibaba or Ali express that is an 8 core 2 GB model with Android 6.1 on it.

i looked everywhere including android XDA forums but no one talks about upgrading the operating system on these things. I decided to just get the 7.1 version on ebay that is Quad core 2 GB of ram. its DDR3 ram so thats a +.

it was $278 shipped on ebay. it says ships from Texas but mine came from Chattanooga TN and only took 2 days to get to me in Atlanta.

heres a link to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332312644330

Will install it tonight.

This model did not come with any front or rear camera add ons but it has all the cables for them if i want to add them on later. it did come with a GPS antenna, Wifi Antenna in the back and a CAN decoder as expected.

I saw a review on youtube for a similar Quad core unit where someone paid almost $350+ for it. it has almost instant bootup and thats all i care about. I will post a video of it or thoughts on it afte ri get it installed.

im a heavy android user so i definitely plan on either taking advantage of BT streaming or Wifi hotspotting to use the native Google play apps for Music since i have a Google play music subscription and youtube red.

Heres the pics of it unboxed from today.

IMG_20171013_120806 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_120814 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_120827 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_121048 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_121110 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_121258 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Thats a fantastic price, I might upgrade to that and sell my Eonon, Ive had it for a year and its great but has much to be desired since updating OS and internals is next to impossible and they have the worst Customer Service to begin with ..

I have a back up camera if you want to make me an offer! Since I was to lazy to install it, might as well sell it since its literally brand spanking new lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subbed for a review!

Awesome price. This might be a stupid question, but would it make sense to go with a head unit that uses the same OS as your phone? Like for example, I have an iphone. When i look to upgrade my stereo to something more modern, should i get something that is iOS based?

Great writeup and pix, btw. Thanks!
    @ joeybananaz: there are no IOS-based car stereos. There are some which support CarPlay, which is a plus for iPhone users.
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD 27mm M3 bar ECS strut brace Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    Great writeup and pix, btw. Thanks!
    @ joeybananaz: there are no IOS-based car stereos. There are some which support CarPlay, which is a plus for iPhone users.
    Yes correct. Sorry, that's what I meant. Shawn sorry for jacking your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    Awesome price. This might be a stupid question, but would it make sense to go with a head unit that uses the same OS as your phone? Like for example, I have an iphone. When i look to upgrade my stereo to something more modern, should i get something that is iOS based?
    You will get no additional benefits using an Android phone with this head unit versus an iPhone. Screen mirroring is the only thing I would have said, but I never got mirroring to work even on my Android phone, so that's a moot point.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

few updates on it.

First with the install:

It comes with 2 main power harness, one for pre face lift and one for post face lift so to speak. not really a face lift change but when ever they changed over the radio plug harness, usually pre 2003 and post 2003.

i plugged my radio up and everything worked except sound. discovered that the HK AMP was not getting power so i looked on the radio harness and there was a blue Remote/ANT wire that was not connected. I just used a T tap to connect the blue power antenna/remote wire to Accessory II wire on the same harness and that solved the issue and everything is working now.

IMG_20171013_193807 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_194605 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

after inputting my google account i started downloading APPs sinc i was connected to my home Wifi. the unit is slow and sluggish while installing Apps. This doesnt appear to be a RAM issue but more indicative of slow NAND aka the "hard drive". slow NAND memory usually shows it face like this.

now that i have my apps installed, the unit was veyr zippy. boot up after starting the car for the first time over night is near instant.

You WILL need a right angle Radio antenna harness. the one the unit comes with is a straight plug and it does not allow your unit to push all the way into the dash. i removed the antenna plug and confirmed the unit sit perfectly.

i ordered this via amazon and it should resolve that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for $278 + $10 for the adapter this seems like a very good purchase for me so far and a huge upgrade over the factory CD53 unit.

Steering wheel controls work as they should as well and no lag using them that I can see.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

FYI I have what appears to be the same headunit (except Android 6.0 and 8-core processor), so I'll chime in here and help you out where I can:

Edit: link to the one that I have https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...802197114.html

- The unit is straight trash when downloading something. I couldn't figure out why when it has plenty of RAM, so I'm glad you did. I play music through Spotify and it will skip like an old CD player while something is downloading in the background. Very annoying.

- I bought the same right angle adapter and it still wouldn't fit, so I ended up chopping away at the plug and bending it myself. Frustration got the best of me on this one, but worked out in the end. I at least thought to take pictures of my caveman technique.

First cut back the rubber insulation with a razor:

Hammered a screwdriver into it to make a crease:

Grabbed it with some channel locks and beat it with a hammer to continue the bend:

And the result:

It finally fit and works just fine.

Will any of these units permit hardwired line audio out from an iPhone to a (rear) input on the head unit? I really would like to avoid another encode/decode cycle for my music, it's degraded enough as it is LOL..

ZHPizza, while you've got a well-mapped out antenna solution there, that method could have wound up damaging insulation and shorting the signal.
    There's probably a variant of your method where a dremel cuts the barrel to avoid that risk.
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD 27mm M3 bar ECS strut brace Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile