Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Hizpo Android 7.1 head Unit

been wanting a unit like this since I saw the Eonon 5150 back in the day. i know right now for a little over $350 - $400 you can pick up an Eonon or similar unit off Alibaba or Ali express that is an 8 core 2 GB model with Android 6.1 on it.

i looked everywhere including android XDA forums but no one talks about upgrading the operating system on these things. I decided to just get the 7.1 version on ebay that is Quad core 2 GB of ram. its DDR3 ram so thats a +.

it was $278 shipped on ebay. it says ships from Texas but mine came from Chattanooga TN and only took 2 days to get to me in Atlanta.

heres a link to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332312644330

Will install it tonight.

This model did not come with any front or rear camera add ons but it has all the cables for them if i want to add them on later. it did come with a GPS antenna, Wifi Antenna in the back and a CAN decoder as expected.

I saw a review on youtube for a similar Quad core unit where someone paid almost $350+ for it. it has almost instant bootup and thats all i care about. I will post a video of it or thoughts on it afte ri get it installed.

im a heavy android user so i definitely plan on either taking advantage of BT streaming or Wifi hotspotting to use the native Google play apps for Music since i have a Google play music subscription and youtube red.

Heres the pics of it unboxed from today.

IMG_20171013_120806 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_120814 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_120827 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_121048 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_121110 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_121258 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Thats a fantastic price, I might upgrade to that and sell my Eonon, I’ve had it for a year and its great but has much to be desired since updating OS and internals is next to impossible and they have the worst Customer Service to begin with ..

I have a back up camera if you want to make me an offer! Since I was to lazy to install it, might as well sell it since its literally brand spanking new lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subbed for a review!

Awesome price. This might be a stupid question, but would it make sense to go with a head unit that uses the same OS as your phone? Like for example, I have an iphone. When i look to upgrade my stereo to something more modern, should i get something that is iOS based?

Great writeup and pix, btw. Thanks!
    @ joeybananaz: there are no IOS-based car stereos. There are some which support CarPlay, which is a plus for iPhone users.
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    Great writeup and pix, btw. Thanks!
    @ joeybananaz: there are no IOS-based car stereos. There are some which support CarPlay, which is a plus for iPhone users.
    Yes correct. Sorry, that's what I meant. Shawn sorry for jacking your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    Awesome price. This might be a stupid question, but would it make sense to go with a head unit that uses the same OS as your phone? Like for example, I have an iphone. When i look to upgrade my stereo to something more modern, should i get something that is iOS based?
    You will get no additional benefits using an Android phone with this head unit versus an iPhone. Screen mirroring is the only thing I would have said, but I never got mirroring to work even on my Android phone, so that's a moot point.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

few updates on it.

First with the install:

It comes with 2 main power harness, one for pre face lift and one for post face lift so to speak. not really a face lift change but when ever they changed over the radio plug harness, usually pre 2003 and post 2003.

i plugged my radio up and everything worked except sound. discovered that the HK AMP was not getting power so i looked on the radio harness and there was a blue Remote/ANT wire that was not connected. I just used a T tap to connect the blue power antenna/remote wire to Accessory II wire on the same harness and that solved the issue and everything is working now.

IMG_20171013_193807 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20171013_194605 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

after inputting my google account i started downloading APPs sinc i was connected to my home Wifi. the unit is slow and sluggish while installing Apps. This doesnt appear to be a RAM issue but more indicative of slow NAND aka the "hard drive". slow NAND memory usually shows it face like this.

now that i have my apps installed, the unit was veyr zippy. boot up after starting the car for the first time over night is near instant.

You WILL need a right angle Radio antenna harness. the one the unit comes with is a straight plug and it does not allow your unit to push all the way into the dash. i removed the antenna plug and confirmed the unit sit perfectly.

i ordered this via amazon and it should resolve that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for $278 + $10 for the adapter this seems like a very good purchase for me so far and a huge upgrade over the factory CD53 unit.

Steering wheel controls work as they should as well and no lag using them that I can see.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

FYI I have what appears to be the same headunit (except Android 6.0 and 8-core processor), so I'll chime in here and help you out where I can:

Edit: link to the one that I have https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...802197114.html

- The unit is straight trash when downloading something. I couldn't figure out why when it has plenty of RAM, so I'm glad you did. I play music through Spotify and it will skip like an old CD player while something is downloading in the background. Very annoying.

- I bought the same right angle adapter and it still wouldn't fit, so I ended up chopping away at the plug and bending it myself. Frustration got the best of me on this one, but worked out in the end. I at least thought to take pictures of my caveman technique.

First cut back the rubber insulation with a razor:

Hammered a screwdriver into it to make a crease:

Grabbed it with some channel locks and beat it with a hammer to continue the bend:

And the result:

It finally fit and works just fine.

Will any of these units permit hardwired line audio out from an iPhone to a (rear) input on the head unit? I really would like to avoid another encode/decode cycle for my music, it's degraded enough as it is LOL..

ZHPizza, while you've got a well-mapped out antenna solution there, that method could have wound up damaging insulation and shorting the signal.
    There's probably a variant of your method where a dremel cuts the barrel to avoid that risk.
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile