Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Rash

Road Rash

I had the front bumper cover on my-new-to-me 04 ZHP due to some of the worst road rash I've ever seen. Painting included professional sanding priming, painting, clear coat.

After only about 1,000 miles, I already have substantial road rash back - see pic. I'm careful on the freeway not to follow trucks, and over time I'd expect some road rash of course, but after 1,000 miles this is too much. Could the vehicle be carrying a cheap after market bumper cover, and could that cheap cover explain the horrible road original road rash and now this after 1,000 miles?

Note the vehicle has 158k miles, which explains the pretty normal rash show on the hood...but not the bumper!

Appreciate any opinions here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1,000 miles is too fast. How long is that, one or two months ? I painted my rear bumper two years ago, so I don't have a valid comparison. I paid $ 300 BTW.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

This is why I will not paint the front end (or pay someone to paint it) until it's retired to weekend duty only.

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

It's clear BMW was not making aerodynamics a priority when they designed our cars...
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    It's clear BMW was not making aerodynamics a priority when they designed our cars...
    Eh? Our cars are very aerodynamic (for their time)...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

If you plan on have it painted again, maybe look in to protecting it with a clear bra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    I’m not seeing the correlation? Rock chips and aerodynamics?

Since we are on the subject of road rash and front bumpers, does anyone have any experience with the Khoalty bumpers for fitment and durability?
    I want to replace mine and the khoalty price is great but i am afraid of "you get what you pay for".

YELKOS - Lake Norman, NC
    2006 330Ci ZHP, ZPP Vert. 6MT Mystic Blue / Grey Montana leather
    purchased 8/23/17 w/ 92,000

Current Stable

2014 Audi A6 Premium Plus (wife's ride)
    2005 Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 (Daily Driver)
    2006 Acura MDX Touring (Daughter's college car)
    Deceased (Sold)
    2006 Audi A6
    1999 328I 5MT
    1998 528I AT

Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    If you plan on have it painted again, maybe look in to protecting it with a clear bra?

I saw xpel on Goss’s Garage. Supposed to be self-healing. Not sure of the price or if a kit is needed/made for MTech2.

Thanks for all the opinions and ideas. I may go ahead and touch up what I can and look into xpel. I suppose road rash is simply the fate of the daily driver...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast