Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Windshield Replacement

Hey everyone,

Looking to get my windshield replaced on Tuesday. I'm still rocking the original OE windshield and it is very pitted and has multiple rock chips. My insurance will be covering this and recommended Glass America to have it done. I plan to have it replaced with Pilkington glass, but I've heard of issues with cheap chinese pilkington glass on some newer F model BMW's.

Has anyone recently replaced their windshield? Is there anything I need to look out for or request? Is there something better than pilkington glass that I should be using? While my current windshield is pitted, it isn't wavy at all and is just fine. I'm hoping to get the same quality.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Are you able you request an oe factory windshield?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

These cars are old enough that insurance rarely covers glass from BMW. Pilkington or PGW will come from China or Mexico these days. My glass guy gets one of each in case the fit is off. Pilkington is OEM - get that one if it fits!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Windshield Replacement

The Pilkington one I got works well. Be sure to spray some water and test the RLS before you leave the shop.

Edit: to Rob’s point test it. Mine is DOT177 and works fine.

Rob, make sure you test the auto headlights and rain sensor before you pay for it. Pilkinton glass I got last spring, neither works and I didn't catch it right away.
    The DOT number on mine is 177
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Are you able you request an oe factory windshield?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    That would have to come directly from the dealer right? Not a third party?

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    These cars are old enough that insurance rarely covers glass from BMW. Pilkington or PGW will come from China or Mexico these days. My glass guy gets one of each in case the fit is off. Pilkington is OEM - get that one if it fits!
    So getting the Pilkington is still the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Rob, make sure you test the auto headlights and rain sensor before you pay for it. Pilkinton glass I got last spring, neither works and I didn't catch it right away.
    The DOT number on mine is 177
    This is good advice, I'll make sure to check that before he leaves. The service drives to you, its not a shop or anything. Do you have any issues with your glass besides the rain sensor? Nothing wavy going on? Did you get yours done at the dealer? I'm pretty sure the glass they install will be pilkington, but won't have the roundel on it.

Remind me again what DOT numbers are for?
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I go ahead and pay for the OEM glass rider on my insurance policy. My original BMW OEM glass was badly pitted, but I got "lucky" with a new rock chip which quickly developed into a crack long enough to warrant replacement. My insurance pushed Safelight to do the replacement, but I insisted in OEM glass which was installed by a third party installer recommended by my indie mechanic. The third party installer ordered glass from local BMW dealer (cost about $500 for glass) and installed at no cost to me. No "waves" in OEM glass, and rain sensor verified to work properly before "completion". I've used Pilkington on other e46's an although pretty good quality and much cheaper, there were noticeable waves in glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    That would have to come directly from the dealer right? Not a third party?

So getting the Pilkington is still the way to go?

This is good advice, I'll make sure to check that before he leaves. The service drives to you, its not a shop or anything. Do you have any issues with your glass besides the rain sensor? Nothing wavy going on? Did you get yours done at the dealer? I'm pretty sure the glass they install will be pilkington, but won't have the roundel on it.

Remind me again what DOT numbers are for?
    BP wrote up some info on windshields and DOT a while back—has to due with where manufactured iirc. See if you can find it.

+1 on trying for the BMW glass. I swung for the fences with a cracked windshield a few months back and NJ Manufacturers covered it. The Safelite guy couldn't believe they approved factory glass for a 12 year old car.

They can't say yes if you don't ask.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I had NJM too Keith. I really like that insurance company

Rob, I started a thread on glass a while back. I don't have time to look for it right now though. I'm not at home. The DOT number tells you where it was manufactured.
    Interestingly, Shawn has the same DOT glass as me and he had no issues although his gasket is ill fitting in upper left corner just like mine
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast