Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ZHP not starting...needs diagnosis

So a about two and a half months ago my car started to lose power when I would be sitting at a stoplight and go to accelerate. It would act as if it were going to stall(revs would drop, car barely moves, etc.) but...the car is an auto. That started happening more frequently as the month progressed. Then my "check gas cap" light came on for about 45 minutes one morning. Following that, I was driving about 70mph on the freeway the cluster beeped, all the indicator lights flashed, all the gauges dropped to zero then went back. The car continued to "stall" probably 1 in every 15 stops for about two more weeks. Then finally one morning she wouldn't start at all.

The car will sound as if it could start but it wont. All of the lights and other electrical systems work (locks, radio, interior lights, etc.) which makes me not think its the battery. Also tried to jump the car which did not work either. Showing three codes: P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak (small leak), P0171 (Bank 1 System Too Lean), P0174 (Bank 2 System Too Lean).

Anyone have any insight on this kind of issue?

| AFE Cold Air Intake | VMR 701s | Bimmian Phone Bracket + Alween Magnetic | Zimmerman Coat Z Rotors + Bosch Quiet Cast | G.A.S. 1.2 BAR Coolant cap |
    | G.A.S. DISA Rebuild Kit | Besian Systems VANOS Rebuild + Anti Rattle | Mirimoto HID retrofit | Orion V2 (Opaque) |

"I've always thought of the hardcore ZHP owners as a bunch of pricks that over value an option package, this cements that position."

Everything is acting (lean) that means to much air for the fuel to fire. Could be an intake boot or some other vacuum leak.

You may want to try misting it with starter fluid, while trying to start it! It may be on top or it may be lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Things I would look at -
    Intake boots
    Clean ICV if not done recently
    Check ICV grommet
    Fuel system vent tube (I think) near the fuel tank that were bad on Shawn's (elcid86) car
    If everything checks out then I'd replace the battery if it's older than 5 years. I've heard bad batteries do weird things on our cars...

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Smells like a fuel pump to me...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Things I would look at -
    Intake boots
    Clean ICV if not done recently
    Check ICV grommet
    Fuel system vent tube (I think) near the fuel tank that were bad on Shawn's (elcid86) car
    If everything checks out then I'd replace the battery if it's older than 5 years. I've heard bad batteries do weird things on our cars...

Battery was last replaced in 2014. Could a crankcase vent tube result in these kinds of codes as well? I noticed mine was cracking when I was under the hood last night.

| AFE Cold Air Intake | VMR 701s | Bimmian Phone Bracket + Alween Magnetic | Zimmerman Coat Z Rotors + Bosch Quiet Cast | G.A.S. 1.2 BAR Coolant cap |
    | G.A.S. DISA Rebuild Kit | Besian Systems VANOS Rebuild + Anti Rattle | Mirimoto HID retrofit | Orion V2 (Opaque) |

"I've always thought of the hardcore ZHP owners as a bunch of pricks that over value an option package, this cements that position."

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Smells like a fuel pump to me...
    that would be my guess too, but..... what does it do on start? does it try to turn over, or just click-click-click-click....?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by justinwilson77 View Post
    Battery was last replaced in 2014. Could a crankcase vent tube result in these kinds of codes as well? I noticed mine was cracking when I was under the hood last night.
    it wouldn't cause a no-start condition.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    that would be my guess too, but..... what does it do on start? does it try to turn over, or just click-click-click-click....?
    It tries to turn over, literally sounds like it could start but it doesn't. Not a typical dead battery "click-click-click" sound

Quote Originally Posted by justinwilson77 View Post
    It tries to turn over, literally sounds like it could start but it doesn't. Not a typical dead battery "click-click-click" sound
    gotcha. when you turn the key to the 'ON'/accessory position, do you hear the fuel pump start?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    gotcha. when you turn the key to the 'ON'/accessory position, do you hear the fuel pump start?
    What would this sound like?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast