Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Random lights on rear out, no dash warning

So I noticed a few weeks ago that my passenger side reverse light was out. Okay just needs a new bulb. Pop it open and bulb is fine. However a little corrosion was present so I clean it up and put the bulb in. Nothing. Try a new bulb, nothing.

Fast forward 2 weeks and my wife tells me one of my driver side marker lights is out. No dash light showing me rocket boosters. Check the bulb it's fine as well.

So two random lights that don't work, and no dash warning light, what gives? Yes I had the recall fixed for the grounding issues in the tail lights. I have a multi meter, how can I check for power and such?

Should be able to check voltage by putting the positive probe on the socket and the negative probe on a ground. You can probably use the negative battery terminal for the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Should be able to check voltage by putting the positive probe on the socket and the negative probe on a ground. You can probably use the negative battery terminal for the ground.
    I hooked up the meter to the ground wire on the tail lamp, then put the probe in each "wire" in the plug and they all seemed to report current, yet nothing with the bulb. Unless I did something wrong?

Now for the reverse light. I did some exploratory surgery and checked the stupid wire harness that goes to the trunk lid and sho'nuff there was a broken wire and 2 other wires about to break. A little bubble gum and toothpicks later I now have a reverse light again!

Having fixed that I checked the harness that goes to the tail light and tried the same thing of tugging on each wire to see if one is broken, but they all felt tight.

Ah the Germans and their inferior wiring.

Good job man! Sometimes you just have to dig in!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Good job man! Sometimes you just have to dig in!
    Spanks! Now if only I can find and fix the tail on my own. Argh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    I hooked up the meter to the ground wire on the tail lamp, then put the probe in each "wire" in the plug and they all seemed to report current, yet nothing with the bulb. Unless I did something wrong?

Now for the reverse light. I did some exploratory surgery and checked the stupid wire harness that goes to the trunk lid and sho'nuff there was a broken wire and 2 other wires about to break. A little bubble gum and toothpicks later I now have a reverse light again!

Having fixed that I checked the harness that goes to the tail light and tried the same thing of tugging on each wire to see if one is broken, but they all felt tight.

Ah the Germans and their inferior wiring.
    Nice troubleshooting!

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim