Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New guy- oil residue on the engine

Can someone tell me what could cause this oil residue that's on the engine? Is it most likely the head cover gasket? Note that these pictures were actually taken after I cleaned it up a bit, there was more to start with. I appreciate any help!

Name:  IMG_4386.JPG
Views: 617
Size:  672.1 KBName:  IMG_4388.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  898.9 KBName:  IMG_4389.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  661.6 KBName:  IMG_4390.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  961.4 KB

Could be oil coming down from VCG and/ or power steering fluid flowing upward when you drive.
    Typically, VCG leaks at passenger corner and you smell burning oil.
    Afraid you need to clean it well completely and see where the leak develops.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Alright thanks, I'll try to clean it better tomorrow and watch it closely the next couple of weeks. I haven't smelled any oil yet.

Valve cover gasket.

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Valve cover gasket.

Sent from my S8+
    My car's doing that to a lesser extent, and it's definitely a failing VCG.

Thanks guys. If it is a VCG is there a tutorial on doing the repair yourself? How tough is that DIY? And where should I look for the replacement part(s)?

Job is super easy. May want to consider swapping spark plugs (while you're in there).

Realoem.com is a great place to find part numbers then plug into either FCPEuro.com or ecstuning.com

Here is an option:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/33...cover%20gasket

Other kits may have other parts and options (bolt grommet gaskets, etc)

Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/qWgMrJcww_Y

Here is a direction example:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...alve_Cover.htm

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Vanos feed line is probably leaking too
    04 TiAg Sedan 6MT
    Bilstein B16 Ride Control
    3.46 Diff
    K&N CAI
    Shark Injector

Quote Originally Posted by 04TitanSilber View Post
    Vanos feed line is probably leaking too
    Yep. If OP is going to do the valve cover gasket, may want to consider doing the vanos seals and vanos oil line while in there. But then while doing the vanos oil line might as well do the oil filter housing gasket.

These cars are fun, aren't they? It never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Yep. If OP is going to do the valve cover gasket, may want to consider doing the vanos seals and vanos oil line while in there. But then while doing the vanos oil line might as well do the oil filter housing gasket.

These cars are fun, aren't they? It never ends.
    Nooo...don't tell me I should also be doing the OFHG today too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast