Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Modern cars SUCK

Seriously, what the fuck is going on...

BMW hit the nail on the head with the e46 3-series, and since then they, along with everyone else, have gone, nay, are running backwards. (except Mercedes, they managed that in the late 90s)
    Nothing new in the car industry excites me. I don't care about self-driving headlights or eco-efficient connected cupholders.

The basic ideas of what constitutes a good car is being usurped by fluffy disposable bullshit.
    Nobody fundamentally believes a good car must include google maps connectivity, or a key-fob remote starting, or plasmonic headlights. Neither on an emotional level, nor on a rational level.
    Yet this is what the industry is giving us as a replacement or even distraction from the fundamental criteria of:
    price, performance, economy (not efficiency!), luxury, quality, style, utility, and safety.

Here's a list I've compiled of car technologies I completely disagree with:

Start/Stop
    LED lights (for anything except brake lights)
    Xenon Lights
    Laser Lights
    Pulse Width Modulated LED lights EVERYWHERE (SERIOUSLY WHO NEEDS TO SAVE 5 WATTS?!)
    massive front bumpers (Beluga Whale) to protect pedestrians
    cars connected to the internet
    google maps in cars
    self driving cars
    “4 cylinder performs like a v8” yeah right
    overcharged microscopic engines (suicide-bomber engines, since you know they're going to explode)
    "fly-by-wire” (cpu processing) for everything
    any perceptible delay between pushing a button —> action
    triple click blinkers
    automatic transmissions with > 5 gears
    plastic chrome
    shitty plastic interiors as replacement for leather
    Touch Screens (whoever thought this was a good idea I genuinely believe should be executed)
    stupidly complicated vehicle functions (i.e. HVAC)
    massive a-pillars and:
    visibility being replaced by ding dong electronics (The irony here is this is to increase safety. How about avoiding accidents in the first place?)
    SUVs that don't drive offroad (women to blame for this)
    Electric power steering (start stop crap?)
    electric AC
    Artificial engine noise
    electronic parking brake (again, an execution is in order)
    car models not offering manual transmissions (kill)
    speedometers intentionally wrong
    single points of failure stranding cars (camshaft position sensor)
    automatic transmissions “sealed for life” without a dipstick
    No engine oil dipsticks

I'm not naïve to the reason this is happening. Manufacturers know what they're doing, and are laughing all the way to the bank. Electronic gadgets while expensive to develop are cheap to mass produce. Disposable cars are good for their bottom line. Regulators have their heads up their asses, and their balls in the hands of the car industry.

What's really tragic, and where the insanity lies: the customers, the ones that should keep all the bull in check in a good free market, seem blissfully complacent with all of it, except for maybe a slight tingle in the back of their mind that something just ain't right, and I'm not sure how this can be changed. I've seen very little literature, or journalism on the topic.

Here's one video I found that just scratches the surface of the problem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FDu8KvXOg

In my ideal fantasy reality, we should be able to buy a brand new ZHP that's absolutely bullet proof. No faulty window regulators, fading paint, shitty shift knobs, subframes that eat themselves, etc. But this doesn't exist, and really can't exist for ding-dong regulatory reasons. Not just for a ZHP, but for any type of car, with the only exception being pickup trucks.

I could stop here, but I won't, because the same thing is happening everywhere. Appliances, computers, electronics, journalism, TVs, etc.

These are high dollar industries that are in the same vortex spiral of bullshit, and the customers are blissfully complacent except, again, for that nagging tingling feeling that something isn't quite right.

It seems only one edge, of the double-edged sword of the free market is doing any cutting right now.

Which brings me back to my original question:
    What the fuck is going on?

Not to sound harsh, but... You should focus on getting used to it. Your E46 won't last forever, and these things you hate aren't going away. No matter how much I hate the thought of electric self-driving crossovers all over the place, that won't change the reality that this is what most people (non-enthusiasts) want, and ultimately that is who the manufacturers (in addition to safety regulators) will listen to.

Also, don't forget that all the guys with the cars from the early 20th century say the same things about YOUR car.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

That's nice... I'll just keep the carb cars alive

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    Here's a list I've compiled of car technologies I completely disagree with:

Start/Stop
    Saves gas, reduces pollutants. What's the issue?

LED lights (for anything except brake lights)
    Brighter, more efficient, more robust than halogen.

Xenon Lights
    Same as LED.

Laser Lights
    Same with LED.

Pulse Width Modulated LED lights EVERYWHERE (SERIOUSLY WHO NEEDS TO SAVE 5 WATTS?!)
    Doesn't matter if they were PWM or constant current. LED's are better than filament in the automotive application.

massive front bumpers (Beluga Whale) to protect pedestrians
    This I agree with. Apparently it's the car's fault for hitting the pedestrian.

cars connected to the internet
    This could be a double-edged sword.

google maps in cars
    This is fine.

self driving cars
    This is also fine. I've come to accept the fact that self-driving cars are ok. They'll prevent your ZHP from getting hit.

“4 cylinder performs like a v8” yeah right
    Most of them do for the majority of driving styles.

overcharged microscopic engines (suicide-bomber engines, since you know they're going to explode)
    The modded Fiesta STs seem to be doing ok. I'm sure stock ones will last long enough. Majority will not keep a car long enough to care.

"fly-by-wire” (cpu processing) for everything
    This is fine.

any perceptible delay between pushing a button —> action
    That's unacceptable. Most likely, the program has a built in delay.

triple click blinkers
    Good for quick passing maneuvers.

automatic transmissions with > 5 gears
    acceleration+gas mileage

plastic chrome
    Cheaper and lighter than regular chrome. Too much of it, is what I don't like.

shitty plastic interiors as replacement for leather
    Not everyone cares for the cost, look, or feel of leather.

Touch Screens (whoever thought this was a good idea I genuinely believe should be executed)
    Off with their head!

stupidly complicated vehicle functions (i.e. HVAC)
    That's built into said touchscreen.

massive a-pillars and:
    Protection from poor drivers

visibility being replaced by ding dong electronics (The irony here is this is to increase safety. How about avoiding accidents in the first place?)
    I wouldn't say visibility is being replaced, just augmented. I would love to have my side mirrors replaced with cameras...

SUVs that don't drive offroad (women to blame for this)
    Not touching this one

Electric power steering (start stop crap?)
    It has potential...majority of people don't want to "feel" the road.

electric AC
    Gas mileage, frees hp.

Artificial engine noise
    As an enthusiast, there is no excuse for this.

electronic parking brake (again, an execution is in order)
    More console/foot room.

car models not offering manual transmissions (kill)
    Manuals don't sell.

speedometers intentionally wrong
    Haven't heard of this one.

single points of failure stranding cars (camshaft position sensor)
    Broken balljoint.

automatic transmissions “sealed for life” without a dipstick
    Most won't keep the car that long.

No engine oil dipsticks
    This one is ok, too.

I'm not naïve to the reason this is happening. Manufacturers know what they're doing, and are laughing all the way to the bank. Electronic gadgets while expensive to develop are cheap to mass produce. Disposable cars are good for their bottom line. Regulators have their heads up their asses, and their balls in the hands of the car industry.

What's really tragic, and where the insanity lies: the customers, the ones that should keep all the bull in check in a good free market, seem blissfully complacent with all of it, except for maybe a slight tingle in the back of their mind that something just ain't right, and I'm not sure how this can be changed. I've seen very little literature, or journalism on the topic.

Here's one video I found that just scratches the surface of the problem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FDu8KvXOg

In my ideal fantasy reality, we should be able to buy a brand new ZHP that's absolutely bullet proof. No faulty window regulators, fading paint, shitty shift knobs, subframes that eat themselves, etc. But this doesn't exist, and really can't exist for ding-dong regulatory reasons. Not just for a ZHP, but for any type of car, with the only exception being pickup trucks.

I could stop here, but I won't, because the same thing is happening everywhere. Appliances, computers, electronics, journalism, TVs, etc.

These are high dollar industries that are in the same vortex spiral of bullshit, and the customers are blissfully complacent except, again, for that nagging tingling feeling that something isn't quite right.

It seems only one edge, of the double-edged sword of the free market is doing any cutting right now.

Which brings me back to my original question:
    What the fuck is going on?
    It sounds like your disagreements are based on emotion and not logic.

EDIT: I say that because it seems like you are disagreeing with things that you personally, do not like. To answer your question of what's going on, manufacturers are keeping with the times. People like shiny cars with new tech. Add on the fact that people are actually keeping older cars longer now, that's a pretty good incentive to throw anything and everything they can, within budget, at these modern cars.
    Last edited by DeathTrap; 10-21-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

I really sympathize, my friend. That’s why I’m carefully preserving my ZHP... to last me as a reminder of what a car should be.

I agree with majority of the points discussed above.
    It's sad to realize that car manufacturers are selling an "iphones" to people, which most of the owners want to change every two years or so.
    Car is not a car anymore, it's a gadget, which sells exceptionally well in the biggest markets like US and China.
    Unfortunately, days of reliability, simplicity, functionality and simply a good product as a car had gone.
    I totally agree that car enthusiasts should get used to it and simply keep enjoining of what they have and try to keep those cars alive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree with OP on all important points; these cars today are what the general consumers demand. As long as it is not my car.

Ultimately, it’s the consumers and not the manufacturers to blame, and there’s nothing that can or should be done about that. I don’t have to like it though, and I’m sure my age has a lot to do with it. My personal gripes are as follow:

1. I want a car I can work on—that I can inspect and change components on. The lack of a dipstick is pure heresy to me!
    2. I DON’T want a car requiring a bunch of expensive, special tools in order to work on it!
    3. I DON’T want a car with a TV screen in the dash—or anywhere for that matter (screw the kids)—and, yes, that means nav and all those touch screen displays!
    4. I want a car with a full-size spare tire—which also means you can keep those crappy run-flat tires!
    5. I want a car with real leather seats and steering wheel, which my ZHP has!
    6. I want a car where I can turn the electronic nannies off. If I want to wreck my car or kill myself, that’s my business!
    7. Finally, and I can’t believe it’s coming to this, I WANT A CAR THAT NEEDS ME TO DRIVE IT!

So THERE! One saving grace of being mortal is that there's an end to having to put up with all the newfangled BS...
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 10-22-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    It sounds like your disagreements are based on emotion and not logic.

EDIT: I say that because it seems like you are disagreeing with things that you personally, do not like. To answer your question of what's going on, manufacturers are keeping with the times. People like shiny cars with new tech. Add on the fact that people are actually keeping older cars longer now, that's a pretty good incentive to throw anything and everything they can, within budget, at these modern cars.
    It is, and it isn't. Saving fuel is great, but if it means an expensive repair bill because a cog in your 20-speed automatic transmission goes out, what are you saving? You're not saving CO2 output, especially if these points of failure reduce the life cycle of the car. Same thing with safety. Massive A-Pillars to prevent roll-over injuries can be avoided by seeing where you're going and what's coming.

HID, LED, and Laser headlights are idiotic. HID lights can literally kill you, and have several expensive points of failure. Laser headlights require rare-earth gems, and their longevity remains unknown.
    LED lights are inferior to incandescent/halogen lights in every way except power consumption and longevity. That being said, incandescent and halogen lights are cheap to buy and replace, and are also ubiquitous. Break a single LED light, and you'll be out more than replacing all halogen/incandescent lights.

Manufacturers aren't keeping up with the times they are defining the times. All these items are ruthless money grabs, and Reasoned1 is absolutely right that the blame rests on the consumer. However, I disagree that nothing can or should be done about it. Proper education via journalism or schooling should (in a good market) keep the tide of BS in check. Imagine: simply reading a well written article in a car magazine saving you tens of thousands of dollars, what a bargain! Yet we've entered a weird age in our free market where this rational and direct thought process has been undercut by the business model of clicks and advertising. Actually, I know there is a large consumer base that longs for what basically amounts to an early 90s Mercedes (or e46 BMW) with useful improvements built in.

This is why I think something is wrong. The consumer demand is there, and the car industry should be bound by the rules of the free market, yet all developments are moving towards crap.
    Last edited by Fried_Chicken; 10-22-2017 at 07:14 AM.

You go, Fried Chicken! I'm right there with you, and will do my part... On the other hand, I do appreciate the vast improvements in reliability, rust prevention, and performance over the cars of yesteryear...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast