Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    We don't allow XP users on our network anymore.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I'm still amazed on how much we still rely on the command line... I use diskpart and ipconfig all the time...
    When I was working on Windows 8-10 I used the command line and keyboard shortcuts all the time because it take too damn long to find anything
    I am being transported back 15+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Serious nostalgia right now. I still need to buy some beater PC laptop just for coding, since none of this works on Macs. I made the switch in 2005, and I’m not going back.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

I don't even let XP machines on our network anymore. LOL

Any IT professionals here?

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Serious nostalgia right now. I still need to buy some beater PC laptop just for coding, since none of this works on Macs. I made the switch in 2005, and I’m not going back.
    I run VMWare Fusion and a windows 10 VM to do all my coding on my macbook.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    at work we have a customer with a few XP machines still... they've got over 1200 machines so it takes a while to lifecycle them all. we've been trying to get them to replace these last XP machines for about 3 years now!
    That's not as much "takes a while to lifecycle them" at this point as it is "we're too damn cheap to buy new software". XP should have been eradicted from the "usage base" years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Almost all of the ultrasound diagnostic equipment I work on is XP. Some are still Windows 2000. The newer machines just went to Windows 7
    The damn FDA regulated equipment really get on my nerves. My response to them would be "Oh, it's expensive to re-certify equipment for newer operating systems? Suck it up, buttercup, you can't expect organizations to be okay with the vulnerabilities you are exposing them to... get with the program!" Too bad this is not how things work... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    same here! i use it all the time. and powershell, which is like cmd on steroids...
    Love PowerShell. It's pretty complicated though... I have to constantly look things up and rely on scripts written by others (that I modify to fit our environment) because I can't for the life of me remember how to write the script myself. lol

This is why I started saving scripts that I find so I can reference the commands needed to write a custom script for whatever I'm doing. The collection is growing quite rapidly...

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    We don't allow XP users on our network anymore.

LOL
    This. Hell, we're even starting to phase out Windows 7 and 2008 R2 now even though they're supported until 2020. Windows 10 and 2012 R2 (and hopefully soon 2016) are taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Not much transportation needed; these are still very commonly used commands even in this day and age.

All of the BMW Coding Software works just fine on a Mac. You need to either use VMware Fusion or Bootcamp to run Windows (prefer bootcamp for best compatibility) so you can run these applications.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

This is my coding only laptop and it seems to prefer older systems. I just recently moved from xp to Vista on it actually. Its also a very old hp tablet laptop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I run VMWare Fusion and a windows 10 VM to do all my coding on my macbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    All of the BMW Coding Software works just fine on a Mac. You need to either use VMware Fusion or Bootcamp to run Windows (prefer bootcamp for best compatibility) so you can run these applications.
    I’ve tried VirtualBox, but had issues with the USB throughput. I’ll look into VMware.

I know Bootcamp is the better option, but I have a smaller SSD in my MBPro, and would hate partitioning any of that valuable space. Can I boot to Windows through Bootcamp via an external drive? If so, I can dedicate some space on the external no problem.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Anyone know if this daten has Eu2 for the Ms43?
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

I’ve tried VirtualBox, but had issues with the USB throughput. I’ll look into VMware.
    I use Parallels and it's a breeze. All the BMW standard tools work with a win 7 VM.
    2004 BMW 330i M-sport 6MT
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

VirtualBox is definitely lacking in features compared to its more fully-featured hypervisor competitors. I'm not a big fan of Parallels myself, but at least Adi confirms that it works. VMware does a good job of passing through USB items. I ran this setup on my 2012 MacBook Pro Retina when I had it and it worked very well overall.

I know Bootcamp is the better option, but I have a smaller SSD in my MBPro, and would hate partitioning any of that valuable space. Can I boot to Windows through Bootcamp via an external drive? If so, I can dedicate some space on the external no problem.
    Apple strikes again.
    I do not believe Bootcamp will boot off a USB drive.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast