Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    # 2018-09-17 Update

I was about moments away from ordering Ohlins Road & Track coilovers when some minor chit chatting with friends reminded me that I had a few resources I should talk prior to this purchase. During those conversations, I ended up realizing I probably will not be happy with the Ohlins on the track and probalby end up with swapping spring rates. With a few phone calls and a wonderful discussion about suspension dynamics, I decided to go for it. 0030: Thanks Wyatt!!!

The configuration is as follows:
    MCS 2WNR dampeners
    Eibach 2.25" 400/700lbs
    Eibach Helper springs
    Vorshlag Camber kit
    Ground Control rear articulating spring perch
    Bimmerworld Endlinks
    Powerflex Street/Track Rear shock mounts

It is safe to say that I ended up paying a little more than I originally planned with the Ohlins but I'm pretty sure I am ending up with a hell of a suspension setup. With the square 18x10+40 BBS GT4s with 15mm spacers, inner wheel clearance would be very tight with the ohlins. Going with MCS and 2.25" springs should increase the clearance so I don't have to change my spacers out. Either way, I bought 20mm spacers in case I do need to.

The picture of the front setup just looks so lovely.

The GC rear perches are being dropped shipped to me due to some delays in manufacturing. For now, I'll get to view them in the garage and admire how
    pretty they look.

Oh and random pic of the beluga whale in all of its AWD height glory.

I will update in the future with more updates but right now. Wow.

Oh, those are purdy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Oh, those are purdy!

Damn straight

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Time to finally update with a longer post!

# Suspension Update
    Last month I purchased Motion Control Suspension 2 Way Non-Remote dampeners and the necessary parts to get it to work. I opted for this ultra-premium suspension because it is able to adjust rebound and compression on the dampeners. I figured I was planning to track it and 2-way was also a very good way to dampen tune the car for the street to a very usable Porsche 991 GT3 feel.

##MCS 2WNR Hardware
    Code:
    MCS 2WNR dampeners
    Eibach 2.25" 400/700lbs
    Eibach Helper springs
    Vorshlag Camber kit
    Ground Control rear articulating spring perch
    BimmerWorld Front MCS-length End links
    PowerFlex Black Rear shock mounts

##Ride height calculation
    My goal for ride height was to eliminate the fender gap but not to stray too far away from factory competition package height. Since the forums have mentioned the Japanese market E90 ride height is the same as the ZCP package, this meant the ride height in TIS for the JDM market in 18s” would provide a baseline height to work with. I dug up the JDM spec E90 18" ride height specs in TIS. These are measured from the fender to the bottom of the rim.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ension/6QLv4XJ
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-guide/60vSeDg

JDM 18" Front: 600mm (23.62")
    JDM 18" Rear: 584mm (22.99")

With a 1/2 inch removed, I would end up at with these specs for the ride height:
    Final Front: 587mm (23.1")
    Final Rear: 572mm (22.5")

##Installation
    I figured to install on my own as I have done a few BMW setups before but not an e90M. The fronts went on without a hitch. The rears were a bit of a pain as the Ground Control articulating spring perch has a rod that requires cutting if you aren't using a 6" spring. Since I had a 7" spring, I had to cut the rod to allow proper lowering. The rear headlight sensor also snapped due to brittleness when I was attempting to remove it. I fixed the error and continued on.

After doing some on and off adjustments to reach my desired ride height, I finally was satisfied with it and moved on to adjusting the front camber and eyeballing around -2 to -2.5 degrees of camber.

##Coding
    Since my car has EDC, I opt to delete it via coding instead of paying for EDC emulators.

Code:
    Unplug the EDC module in the trunk
    Delete $223 from VO
    FA write to CAS and NFRM
    Change EDC_CIC to nicht_aktiv in CIC
    Change EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER to nicht_aktiv in KOMBI
    Change EDCK_ID_MONITOR to nicht_aktiv in KOMBI
    Clear errors in ISTA or INPA.
    Caveat: There will be a CDB7 error that will always be present in the fault memory. The car will not report it in the car screen but it will be there during a diagnostic read.

No more EDC! The known error is shown in the picture.

##Damper Tuning
    After coding, I started with rebound 9 clicks and compression 4 clicks all around as a baseline first. Since I wasn't fully comfortable with double adjustable settings I had to research and familiarize myself with what each did. Long story short, I've settled on front 11R/5C and rear 9R/4C for street use. I will continue to play with the settings and see if the sweet spot currently gets sweeter. :happyanim:

##Alignment
    With the car being a little more weekend car than a full fledge race car, Wing@VT Motorworks set the alignment to camber to -2.5 front, -2.0 rear with a hint of toe in. With a little toe in the front, the car wouldn’t be as darty and want to follow the grooves of the road.

##Impressions
    My initial first impressions are "f*cking wow." The suspension is far more composed than I ever expected. Compression was adjusted just enough to be suitable for San Francisco Bay area rough roads. Adding a little more rebound, the car is able to remain stable even with mid-corner bumps. I am just amazed at how stable this setup is on the street with minor damper tuning. I am very happy with this setup and hope to learn more about how to utilize them more!

##Remaining items

###Trunkliner hole for rear adjustment
    I plan to put two holes in the trunk liner to allow access to the adjusters. With a large hole, I wanted something to cover it. I hope to get this done next week.

##Bonus item!
    I was meeting up friends at Sonoma Raceway and ended doing 3 DynoJet runs for $80 for giggles. Power levels aren't too shabby and I'm not too worried about it.

2011 6MT E90 M3
    57k miles
    91 Octane
    5th gear pull
    332whp 250wtq

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by derbo; 10-29-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Chart looks good! Nice torque curve... remains relatively flat through the whole RPM range... damn that engine is a high rever
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Do you know how much 91 octane would affect the s65’s performance compared to 93 octane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Chart looks good! Nice torque curve... remains relatively flat through the whole RPM range... damn that engine is a high rever
    I love that it is so flat. The tq may not be monstrous but its available 4k and up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Do you know how much 91 octane would affect the s65’s performance compared to 93 octane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure. I'm not too worried about it. It is within range.

San,

http://www.s65dynos.com/DynoDB.php?vType=1&dynoID=2

If you search STOCK 91US 6MT, I'm in the ballpark at least!

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast