Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: John's Resto-Mod/DD and possibly project car amazing super-thread

  1. #21
    I decided to get off my butt and start my headlights. Here they are, typical ZKW burned bowls, plus some damage from the car accident.



    terrible:


    WTF:


    Awful:


    hates freedom:
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||2006 BMW X5 4.8is||2000 Ford Crown Victoria LX|| @_oltorf_

  2. #22
    using my headlight to work on my headlights at night


    handy way to get bolts in and out of tight spaces:


    Newly assembled headlights. ZKW lenses and some of those cheesy ebay halos:


    ZKW's where they belong:


    It's pretty late and kind of cold outside so I'm going to put them in tomorrow and get output pictures then.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||2006 BMW X5 4.8is||2000 Ford Crown Victoria LX|| @_oltorf_

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    4,395
    Yes. I want to compare the before and after light output.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    145,000 miles

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Yes. I want to compare the before and after light output.
    Here they are:

    Before aiming. You can see the left, aimed waaaaay up (AL) and right (ZKW) tiny yellow light on the right


    Aimed:


    You can't really see the right side, so for comparison I stood in front of each headlight.

    Standing in front of right side:



    Looks the same as both headlights

    Standing in front of left side:



    The difference is even greater in person. The camera makes it look brighter than it really is.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||2006 BMW X5 4.8is||2000 Ford Crown Victoria LX|| @_oltorf_

  5. #25
    Well, i down to 3 warning lights. I had 6 at one point. I have a low windshield washer fluid light, brake wear indicator, and air bag system light. I just took it to firestone and they said the brakes are good so I just need sensors for that. I'm ordering a new non-leaky headlight washer, brake wear sensors, and one of those INPA cables to check out the ABS light.

    This weekend I'm going to finish a few small things and put the bumper on.

    I'm also trying to diagnose my wife's X5. It feels like there's a flat spot or something on the front left tire but firestone says it balances fine. The 4 corner air suspension system is inactive and there's a low tire warning. I think they're related somehow. I'm going to swap front wheels and see if that affects anything.

    The steering also feels pretty heavy to me, so I wonder if there is something in the steering system that is contributing. It may just be the sport handling package, though.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||2006 BMW X5 4.8is||2000 Ford Crown Victoria LX|| @_oltorf_

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Dickel, TN
    Posts
    3,412
    Cool post! I did that a few times in my younger days!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

    The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

    The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

    Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    4,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Oltorf View Post
    Well, i down to 3 warning lights. I had 6 at one point. I have a low windshield washer fluid light, brake wear indicator, and air bag system light. I just took it to firestone and they said the brakes are good so I just need sensors for that. I'm ordering a new non-leaky headlight washer, brake wear sensors, and one of those INPA cables to check out the ABS light.

    This weekend I'm going to finish a few small things and put the bumper on.

    I'm also trying to diagnose my wife's X5. It feels like there's a flat spot or something on the front left tire but firestone says it balances fine. The 4 corner air suspension system is inactive and there's a low tire warning. I think they're related somehow. I'm going to swap front wheels and see if that affects anything.

    The steering also feels pretty heavy to me, so I wonder if there is something in the steering system that is contributing. It may just be the sport handling package, though.
    I can help you with the X5. The air suspension inactive and tire pressure light on together means that the air suspension module is most likely gone bad. There are several other things that you should check regarding the air suspension. If you have DIS, you can use that to diagnose/reset the suspension system and see if it comes back. The problem with the air suspension is when 1 part goes, if it's not taken care of right away, it can have a cascade effect on the rest of the system. It usually starts with a leaking air bag which over taxes the air compressor and then all that kills the module that controls it. The "air suspension inactive" warning is the bane of every air suspended X5 4.8is owner. We spent several K over a two year period fixing our e53 4.8is and that was with me doing most of the work.
    I would not try to guess when it comes to the air suspension. There are too many parts and variables to do that. DIS will be your best friend for this.

    The steering is designed to feel sporty just like the ZHP. The front control arm links have a fluid filled bushing just like the ones on the e46. they go bad and makes the suspension feel mushy over small bumps, etc. I replaced them with poly. Much better with no added vibration or anything. Also these have the same style swaybar endlinks as the e46 so they may get noisy too...

    The e53 4.8is is an incredible machine but man, it's like an expensive date that never ends...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I can help you with the X5. The air suspension inactive and tire pressure light on together means that the air suspension module is most likely gone bad. There are several other things that you should check regarding the air suspension. If you have DIS, you can use that to diagnose/reset the suspension system and see if it comes back. The problem with the air suspension is when 1 part goes, if it's not taken care of right away, it can have a cascade effect on the rest of the system. It usually starts with a leaking air bag which over taxes the air compressor and then all that kills the module that controls it. The "air suspension inactive" warning is the bane of every air suspended X5 4.8is owner. We spent several K over a two year period fixing our e53 4.8is and that was with me doing most of the work.
    I would not try to guess when it comes to the air suspension. There are too many parts and variables to do that. DIS will be your best friend for this.

    The steering is designed to feel sporty just like the ZHP. The front control arm links have a fluid filled bushing just like the ones on the e46. they go bad and makes the suspension feel mushy over small bumps, etc. I replaced them with poly. Much better with no added vibration or anything. Also these have the same style swaybar endlinks as the e46 so they may get noisy too...

    The e53 4.8is is an incredible machine but man, it's like an expensive date that never ends...
    Thanks for the advice, I still need to get one of those INPA cables and software to do the coding and reading error messages, so I'll do that before I start swapping parts. None of the corners sits lower than the other ones and it doesn't feel like the air shocks are leaking so I think it's a module or sensor somewhere.

    I sometimes feel like I got in a little bit over my head with the e53, but my wife loves it and it' a fun car to drive so we'll see. At least I don't have a long list of mods I want to do. I just want to get the problems fixed and drive it. And maybe turbocharge it.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||2006 BMW X5 4.8is||2000 Ford Crown Victoria LX|| @_oltorf_

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    4,521
    Keep an eye on those air bags. The system will compensate for a leaking air bag by running the compressor so you may not notice it. If the compressor runs too long, it burns out. The air bags become porous and weep air out so you'll never see a hole if you're looking for it. You can spray soapy water on them and see if you have any leaks.

    On a positive note, could be as simple as a diagnostic/reset though. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    It's definitely fun to drive! You have about 360hp under your foot as is sits. Ours ran about a 14.5 at the local drag strip. Not too shabby for that heavy of a vehicle from a dead stop and it handles better than most cars.

    Here's a couple of posts from Xoutpost that will help you familiarize yourself with the suspension and the issues they have. If your really interested, I have a white paper from BMW that explains the whole system in great detail.

    https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-question.html

    https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...libration.html

    https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-please-2.html

    Lastly, if you find that the air suspension is too costly to fix, ECS Tuning has a conversion kit. You have to code out the air suspension though...

    https://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E...Conversion_Kit
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Keep an eye on those air bags. The system will compensate for a leaking air bag by running the compressor so you may not notice it. If the compressor runs too long, it burns out. The air bags become porous and weep air out so you'll never see a hole if you're looking for it. You can spray soapy water on them and see if you have any leaks.

    On a positive note, could be as simple as a diagnostic/reset though. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    It's definitely fun to drive! You have about 360hp under your foot as is sits. Ours ran about a 14.5 at the local drag strip. Not too shabby for that heavy of a vehicle from a dead stop and it handles better than most cars.

    Here's a couple of posts from Xoutpost that will help you familiarize yourself with the suspension and the issues they have. If your really interested, I have a white paper from BMW that explains the whole system in great detail.

    https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-question.html

    https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...libration.html

    https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-please-2.html

    Lastly, if you find that the air suspension is too costly to fix, ECS Tuning has a conversion kit. You have to code out the air suspension though...

    https://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E...Conversion_Kit
    that white paper would be great, actually.

    I made sure the tires were all filled to the same pressure and reset the system and haven't seen the TPMS light come back on. That eliminates that variable, i suppose. I'll read up on those links and keep looking around. I might look at the level sensors and see if they're rusted. I just ordered an INPA cable so i'll be able to look at the error code in more detail pretty soon.

    that conversion kit is looking better and better, though.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||2006 BMW X5 4.8is||2000 Ford Crown Victoria LX|| @_oltorf_

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Zhpe30abe's Project Thread
    By Zhpabe89 in forum Projects
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: Today, 02:54 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-22-2017, 02:24 PM
  3. Replies: 769
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM
  4. Preview video of the resto on this 1989 Porsche 911 C4
    By DetailersDomain in forum Detailing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 12:24 PM
  5. Silvergray ZHP Project Thread
    By MiniD in forum Projects
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •