Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Battery Life and Cluster Voltage Test

I've had my 2005 330Ci ZHP Convertible for 3 weeks now and have worked my way through and corrected the PPI findings. Since I'll be storing it for the winter, I thought I'd look at the battery. Looking at age and output

First, the battery date code is 48-08. How long are these batteries lasting. This one's on it's 9th anniversary. If I replace it, does it require registration like the battery in my 745i? And any preference to AGM brands?

Second, I thought I'd check the battery and alternator voltages using the cluster menu's. I've watched 3 different Youtube video's, couldn't be simpler. But when I follow those steps (key position 2, hold in the left trip button in) nothing happens at all. Never gets to the test menu. Just continues to show odometer. The manual also says the left trip button should also reset the trip odometer, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone else ever see this happen? Otherwise I'm suspecting an issue with my cluster button. Believe me, I'd be happy to have one of you tell me I'm doing it wrong

I asked my Indy to check the battery 2 years ago. He posted this on his notes: "battery tests good, though it's from 2010 & normal battery life expectancy is 4-5 years." I have no clue about the brand. BTW I still have the same battery. You don't need to register it.

About your cluster button, I bet it's bad.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

You have to hold the button in before turning the key to position 2.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thanks AZ. There a number of video's showing the cluster tests: holding the button while you turn the key, and also not hitting the button until the key is in position 2. Both worked in the video's, so I've tried it both ways without success

The fact that I also can't reset my trip odometer with the button makes me agree with Fredo that it's the button

And Fredo, my 745i is a 2002 that I bought in 2005 off lease, and the original battery finally failed in 2013 - 11 years!

And I forgot to answer your question about registration. E46's do not require registration.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

AZ - I see you're in Branford. I live in New Hampshire, but I bought my car from an owner in East Lyme

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    I've had my 2005 330Ci ZHP Convertible for 3 weeks now and have worked my way through and corrected the PPI findings. Since I'll be storing it for the winter, I thought I'd look at the battery. Looking at age and output

First, the battery date code is 48-08. How long are these batteries lasting. This one's on it's 9th anniversary. If I replace it, does it require registration like the battery in my 745i? And any preference to AGM brands?

Second, I thought I'd check the battery and alternator voltages using the cluster menu's. I've watched 3 different Youtube video's, couldn't be simpler. But when I follow those steps (key position 2, hold in the left trip button in) nothing happens at all. Never gets to the test menu. Just continues to show odometer. The manual also says the left trip button should also reset the trip odometer, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone else ever see this happen? Otherwise I'm suspecting an issue with my cluster button. Believe me, I'd be happy to have one of you tell me I'm doing it wrong
    Try different OBC menus to try the TEST menu.

I'm usually on the miles remaining menu when I hold the left button till it says TEST, then tap it to 19, pause till it says off, then move to the appropriate menu.