Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Continued P0411 code and roughness

Greetings friendly Mafia members--

I'm having some ongoing issues with my ZHP and I'm wondering if anyone can provide a word to the wise.

It's been running a bit rough at idle. I've had a SES light (P0411) for a while now. My mechanic has had it several times--he's replaced the secondary airflow pump, the sensor and the switch. He's found no vacuum leaks or damaged hoses anywhere. Still the problem persists.

A little more recently, I was coming home, and the transmission light came on at a stop sign (steptronic). The car wouldn't go into first or second gear, even manually. It wasn't super cold out, I'd been driving the car for about an hour. I turned it off and waited 10 minutes, restarted and the problem persisted. I turned it off and left it alone for about an hour, and that seemed to solve the problem, it's been operating more or less normally ever since.

Well, mostly. It seems like now it tends to upshift when I take my foot off the gas sometimes..I feel it shift up at low speeds and the engine makes a bit of a strained, grinding noise. If I accelerate a little it downshifts again with a small thud feeling.

Not sure if this is related, but sometimes a particular light in my car (I notice when it's dark) tends to flicker erratically. It'll usually be the compass light on the mirror or the gear-selector light. It doesn't rhythmically flicker like a failing alternator..much more sporadic.

Related to the transmission, my mechanic suggested it could be a bad battery or possibly even the MAF sensor. I unplugged the MAF and the car ran rougher..not a whole lot, but I noticed it. I ordered a cheap one off eBay just to see if it made any improvement. The battery doesn't seem to be particularly old, however it is a weird, cheap little battery that looks like it came from a roadside service (AutoZone brand). The previous owner had it put in.

Any idea how I could pin down the P0411 code (or transmission/flickering lights issue)?

Dying batteries can make these cars act crazy af. Can you post a pic of the battery that you have in there? Or the model and date code?

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Dying batteries can make these cars act crazy af. Can you post a pic of the battery that you have in there? Or the model and date code?
    Here's the battery:

Name:  IMG_4475.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  1.15 MB

Battery code says "51682SFE".

How old is the battery, do you know? Look for a production date code. Our cars can be real particular when it comes to proper power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    How old is the battery, do you know? Look for a production date code. Our cars can be real particular when it comes to proper power supply.
    Different from the one I found?

EDIT: Maybe it's too hard to see in the previous post, code says "51682SFE"
    Last edited by usinjin; 11-13-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Clarification

What I'm more concerned about, is this battery actually okay for the car? It looks really cheap. The previous owner did a lot of wretched things. A rear window regulator broke, and instead of replacing the $60 part, they screwed a 2x4 block of wood into the door frame interior to prevent the window from slipping down.

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    What I'm more concerned about, is this battery actually okay for the car? It looks really cheap. The previous owner did a lot of wretched things. A rear window regulator broke, and instead of replacing the $60 part, they screwed a 2x4 block of wood into the door frame interior to prevent the window from slipping down.
    WTF

Honestly I don't understand the timecode/stamp that you gave, so who knows. But I'd have it tested at AutoZone, I think they'll do it for free.

Also, that 2x4 thing is fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Honestly I don't understand the timecode/stamp that you gave, so who knows. But I'd have it tested at AutoZone, I think they'll do it for free.

Also, that 2x4 thing is fucked.
    According to the internet, the 1/16 sticker indicates the date of manufacture. It also checks out as healthy, tested out of the car at Advance and inside the car with the battery self-test (12.3V off and 14V on). It still strikes me as hairy.

and yeah..this car was somewhat messed-up when I first got it..it's been interesting chasing down all the little things wrong with it