Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    @papa_g - ugh, I installed my Morimoto fog lights last Christmas and still have not adjusted them properly. I don't use them because they'd blind people (sit waaaaay too high) and taking them out, adjusting, and then reinstalling them is a serious pain in the but. I feel your pain.
    It’s actually not HORRIBLE if you do it in your own drive way. I had to find a loading dock because my driveway is angled. Not fun when you are constantly paranoid someone is gonna come and threaten to call the police on you (actually, one squad car drove by and didn’t even stop to see what was going on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Thank you, Charlie. Your M3 is exquisite.
    thanks! still work in progress

It’s actually not HORRIBLE if you do it in your own drive way. I had to find a loading dock because my driveway is angled. Not fun when you are constantly paranoid someone is gonna come and threaten to call the police on you (actually, one squad car drove by and didn’t even stop to see what was going on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I need to do the same - my apartment and my folks' place both have angled driveways.

Turning a dream into a reality

Haven’t posted to my build thread in a while, but figured I would this time because of the magnitude of this project.

Want to give a thanks to people like roverT, BMWCurves, ivegotissues666 from e46fanatics, Davbrett from bimmerforums and some YouTube channels for all the DIYs and resources to make this project go as smoothly as possible. I’ll post links to the DIYs in a subsequent post.

So I happened upon a very clean natural brown interior, door cards and all, which even included heated seats and lumbar support (neither of which I previously had). I decided to have a ‘while I’m there’ project where I tackled a lot of issues I was having in the interior. This included:

- peeling fabric on all the pillars and headliner
    - sound deaden doors and roof
    - fix rattle in driver door
    - repair/paint black cube trim of door handles
    - grease and diagnose/fix sunroof issue

The rest of the project included:

- swapping out black interior for natural brown, including changing the faux wood trim for the black cube from the black door cards
    - install new to me center console panel with the heated seat buttons (bought from cakM3
    - route heated seat wires to seats (acquired from part out car)
    - vacuum/ clean as needed

Project started by harvesting the wires needed for heated seats from a donor vehicle. Figures I wanted wires that were color coded and had the correct pin shape, but it was a PITA to get them out.

Here they are attached to the center console panel wiring harness

And here is my new center console panel

Next I removed the black seats, and began to gut almost the entire interior

With everything out, I proceeded to reglue the headliner and pillar fabric. NOT a fun job. 10/10 would not recommend, but mine was really bad. Results were not ideal, but it will do for now.

I’ll continue the saga in the next post…
    Last edited by papa_g; 09-11-2022 at 03:47 PM.
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.

With the door cards off, I wanted to swap my black cube trim to the NB door cards. I thought it would be easy, but this ended up being the most difficult and time consuming part of the whole job. There are so many ridged plastic clips holding the trim to the handle that I was lucky to only break a few of them.

With the black cube trim off, I put a few coats of satin black paint on them to cover the scratches

The final product:

Next, I sound deadened as much as was reasonable. Did the door cards as well as the door frames, ceiling and trunk. Also put a layer of dynaliner under the rear seats, which I had insulated with butyl and aluminum after removing most of the original bmw crayon smell stuff.

Also found the source of the rattle that was driving me nuts all this time. One of the bolts securing the crossmember brace thing in the door was loose. Probably mechanic forgot to fasten it when the PO had some work done.
    Here is the thing that was rattling:

And here is the bolt that was loose in the door jamb

Last piece of maintenance was the sunroof, which when fully retracted, would pull the visor all the way back and not pull it forward when closing. I thought I would inspect the mechanisms, but everything seemed to be in working order. I cleaned up the dirt/dust and relubricated the moving parts. We shall see if that fixes it…

With everything fixed, I routed the heated seating wires to the harness beneath the seats

Putting everything back together was relatively straight forward

And when I reconnected the battery, I was relieved that everything worked and the airbags didn’t deploy haha.

This took me a whole week to complete, and I am dead tired. Looking forward to enjoying the new look and feel. Won’t be using the heated seats for a little while, but the lumbar support should be real nice.

Turning a dream into a reality

Noticed some interesting things in this project, like remnants of life at the bmw factory in Munich
    Found this little guy hiding in the door sill under the carpet. Probably crawled in during production and got stuck?

And perhaps some old leaves from a German tree that got stuck above the headliner???

and here are those links I referred to for this project. Thanks again to everyone and happy wrenching!
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ning-Project**
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...nterior-Repair
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...eadening-Guide
    https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...f-pics.341242/

Excellent update! It was a little odd seeing photos of an interior that looks so much like mine....and I recently pulled mine apart too. Also great to know we can refresh the cube trim! Mine is a little sad in some spots. I didn't understand, did you DIY the fabric replacement of the headliner and pillars, or a shop? Mine will need some love soon too and I know it's not fun... I tried to DIY my last car but it peeled quickly.

Yummy NB interior. Good job, sir !
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Want to give a thanks to people like roverT, BMWCurves, ivegotissues666 from e46fanatics, Davbrett from bimmerforums and some YouTube channels for all the DIYs and resources to make this project go as smoothly as possible. I’ll post links to the DIYs in a subsequent post.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast