Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Wisdom of the forum needed.

Hey gang, I could use a little of the wisdom of the forum. I recently hit a deer with my new to me 2004 ZHP ci and it looks like it will be totaled. I had to leave it at the body shop in a small town in wyoming, “I live in North Dakota”, and await my insurance companies aduster to look at it and i will get there offer. The body shop has a peliminnary estimate of $9800. The car still runs but leaked antifreeze. The radiator and support moved back but not against the motor.
    So my dilemma is if i should buy it out and haul it home and fix it myself with used parts, or buy it and part it out, or let it go to salvage yard. I read thru a few of the part outs here and it seemed like thing moved fairly well.
    It will need a hood and driver front fender, headlights, radiator and support and a bunch of the plastic bits up front.

Questions I have now are what years and models could I find parts that would fit my car? If there is an easy answer.

I will try to post some pics.

How did I end up here? The car was my brothers some of you might remember him on here as MrMaico.

My brother Barry passed away on January 11th from pancreatic cancer. He beat prostate cancer and an open heart bypass, but that type of cancer is just such a nasty s--t to overcome.
    So I am his little brother by 5 years so growing up I was the little tag along. Both of my bothers were into motorcycles and that meant I was also. So they always had to take me riding when they went. They always had cool bikes and cool cars. Barry's first was his 2002 which we drove out to the coast and cruised the 101, we did it again in his 320i. On one trip in the 2002 I was driving and I said to Barry we got a beemer closing in on us, his reply... don't let them pass us! We were in some twisties in the Redwoods, so it was run rabbit run! That 320 chased us for quite some time... what a blast! Finally let them go by and.... it was a gal driving that other beemer, she was fast!
    That is when I got my affection for the coast and have been up and down it many times for a guy from ND.

Ten years ago we all got closer again when Barry got me into Adventure bikes, Our oldest brother had a new place in the Black Hills of South Dakota, a mecca for offroaders and road enthusiasts.

Barry introduced me to Advrider, and I joined a forum, my first, so this is the second forum for me.
    NooB alert..

Ive read thru some of Barrys post and this sure does feel like the friendliest forum on the web. I will keep this thread up to date as I know more and hopefully I will start a build thread if everything works out.

TIA , Scott..... brothers nicknamed me zak when I was little so I used that here.

Thanks DW for the help with my acc.

Name:  zMU9T7ul.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  iT2pGOCl.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  XbfQYlpl.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  7mMu2rVl.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  74.6 KB

What do you guys think... fix it?
    Last edited by zak; 02-09-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Welcome Zak, thats a great story and some greater memories.
    Fix it! there is more than enough knowledge on this forum to help you get it back on the road where it belongs.

YELKOS - Lake Norman, NC
    2006 330Ci ZHP, ZPP Vert. 6MT Mystic Blue / Grey Montana leather
    purchased 8/23/17 w/ 92,000

Current Stable

2014 Audi A6 Premium Plus (wife's ride)
    2005 Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 (Daily Driver)
    2006 Acura MDX Touring (Daughter's college car)
    Deceased (Sold)
    2006 Audi A6
    1999 328I 5MT
    1998 528I AT

Scott, I think you should have it fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Welcome Zak. Very sorry to hear about your brother. With a sad story like this, I would think keeping the car would be a strong possibility. I know nothing about fixing this damage though, just thinking with my emotions.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I'm fixing up a car that has almost the same damage as yours. Honestly, it's not that hard, and when you have the front end apart it's pretty easy to do some longevity type upgrades. You may have a body shop check to see if the body is bent before you commit to fixing it, though. Mine was straight so it's just a matter of taking off the busted stuff and putting good stuff on.

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. My aunt died of pancreatic cancer and it's a very fast moving disease and it's hard when it happens so quickly like that.

Good luck.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L||2008 Hummer H2 SUT|| @oltorf.the.destroyer

welcome scott/zak!

that definitely is an easy fix... take the money, buy it back, and enlist the help of forum members for parts/advice. there are folks parting out cars here, so you should easily be able to get everything you need.

looks like you need:

- rad support
    - rad (buy a new OEM one)
    - expansion tank (buy a new OEM one)
    - electric cooling fan? is it damaged?
    - left headlight
    - left fender
    - left headlight undertrim
    - hood
    - grilles
    - likely some broken plastic bits around the headlight area

i may have a rad support, but shipping might be a bit expensive from canada. regardless, you can do this! should be a day in total to repair once you get all of the parts.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Welcome, zak - Great story.

Easy fix, but this is coming from a guy who brought an M3 back to life with more damage than that. I vote keep.

Definitely an easy fix. All front end and no frame damage it seems. Glad to have you aboard, Scott. I definitely remember talking to Barry about vintage motorcycles and enjoyed his conversations.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Thanks everyone, I definitely have an emotional attachment to this ride and I am still sick over what happened and having to leave it where it is. The car is very clean and never driven in the winter, always garaged, the interior is like new.
    I have been looking up parts online and feel I could put it back together for half of what the parts quoated at the body shop.

Can anyone point me to build threads where the front end is apart?
    Last edited by zak; 02-09-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    welcome scott/zak!

that definitely is an easy fix... take the money, buy it back, and enlist the help of forum members for parts/advice. there are folks parting out cars here, so you should easily be able to get everything you need.

looks like you need:

- rad support
    - rad (buy a new OEM one)---
    - expansion tank (buy a new OEM one)
    - electric cooling fan? is it damaged?
    - left headlight
    - left fender
    - left headlight undertrim
    - hood
    - grilles
    - likely some broken plastic bits around the headlight area

i may have a rad support, but shipping might be a bit expensive from canada. regardless, you can do this! should be a day in total to repair once you get all of the parts.
    One day to put it back together sounds like i could do it in a week then. Thanks for the offer and support.
    So stay OEM where you stated?
    On the fan i cant tell if it took a hit everything is pushed back to far to tell, it leaked antifreeze after the hit.
    The other hedlight has a tab broken that i can see, are there an aftermarkets that are worth looking at.
    Radiator support isn't too expensive.
    Air box is toast, but the carbon lid was fine.
    Last edited by zak; 02-09-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast