Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to you in central VaS

Make that central Va
    So new that I have not titled or registered the '04 ZHP I bought in North Carolina a week ago, so it sits in my side yard until Old Faithful ('96 328i,) my daily driver for the past six years, sells. We are very much looking forward to the wealth of info and richness of camaraderie found here. I love (most) BMW engineering, though my first love was that mid-50's MB Gullwing, and I went to sleep some nights dreaming of being a pit mechanic on their F! racing team. What other boy in Alabama at that time had Stirling Moss as his hero?
    For over a year I searched many sources for an E46 M3, and knew nothing of the ZHF until driving one two months ago. I was hooked - the harshness of the M was absent, replaced by a firm but sweet responsiveness with all the power I need at age 73. My 328 returns right at a 30 mpg average, so the gas pump will see me a little more frequently from here on but it's a small price to pay. I like the E36 very much but the difference is substantial.
    Some past rides were '56 Austin Healy 100-4, '62 Corvette, '60 Alfa Romeo, '55 Caddy coupe, '67 E-type Jag and assorted sedans, wagons, and trucks. Competition was always a strong attractor, and I went to many sports car races on both coasts, beginning in the early '60s. A brief stab at motorcycle racing exposed my lack of skill and money. Now the occasional sailboat regatta quenches that thirst. Five grandsons also give lots of satisfaction to the old man.

Best regards to all,
    Sailor
    Last edited by Sailor; 11-17-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: misspelling in title

Welcome from another central VA owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.

What part of central Virginia ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Welcome

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Welcome, sir. My first BMW was a 1992 325i e36.

Please post pics of both rides whenever possible.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Welcome.

What part of central Virginia ?

Near Lynchburg (you can't get much more central than that!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Near Lynchburg (you can't get much more central than that!)
    Nice. Not that far from me (I'm in Harrisonburg)

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Welcome, sir. My first BMW was a 1992 325i e36.

Please post pics of both rides whenever possible.
    Nice. After driving, maintaining, and repairing a variety of machinery for over 50 years, I've come to appreciate quality of design, materials, and workmanship. In the mid 80's a buddy asked me to tune his '70 something BMW - can't recall the model, but I was impressed by the design, fit, and feel of the car. Now I say the worst feature of a Mercedes-Benz is the engine (because the one I had wasn't as good as the rest of the car), while the best feature of a BMW is the engine. So when i needed a daily ride and saw an '83 533i for sale in '04 for $2k, I bought it and eventually passed it on to my youngest daughter. First time she drove it any distance she was going back to college, and phoned me to say, "Dad, you rock! I'm driving up the mountain [to Va Tech] and didn't even have to shift down. All the other cars are in my mirror. This car is a torquemonster." Later I bought a 635 (project) and a 528 parts car. The ZHP has 134,000 mi and feels tight, but I'll go over everything and see what needs freshening up, and maybe apply my unorthodox diff subframe beef up ideas. Gotta tweak 'em a little just for fun...

Welcome from Stafford, VA

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Very good Vas. The Valley has a well-deserved reputation for beauty and hospitable folks. A son-in-law is from Bridgewater and I'm familiar with the Harrisonburg area - in fact a couple of years ago I bought a Borla muffler for my E36 from a guy there. It's a little loud for an old guy, but when I drive under the bridge overpass on the road to my place and nail it in 2nd, it reverberates off that concrete and blows out some of the cholesterol in my arteries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast