Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 39 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    My mans doin interiors now just filling out his auto restoration resume
    Going to move to Germany just because he's in country. And all the cool cars we don't get stateside...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

My mans doin interiors now just filling out his auto restoration resume
    Yess Pizzaman, soon to be swapped with the current IT resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Going to move to Germany just because he's in country. And all the cool cars we don't get stateside...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Can never have too many friends and cool cars.

The beast has been caged at yet another shitty and preposterously tiny underground garage. At the bare minimum, they'll need an angle grinder to get to the mirrors now.

It looks sad, like a dog putting its ears back.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    It looks sad, like a dog putting its ears back.
    Or... Like a lion, waiting to eat its keeper.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Some updates on the E31.

Got the board computer pixels fixed by Pixelfix in Hungary, great guys to deal with.

I thoroughly inspected the suspension. Having checked all wheels for play and finding that everything is tight and in order, visual inspection revealed that the rubber on ball joints on upper control arms were split.

Sorted that with new TRW control arms and got new sway bar links while at it since they are cheap and shiny new parts always look nice.

Original control arms made by TRW as well. The old bushings were actually still good.

Remarkably, the rest of the suspension is in great condition and nothing else is needed, a true testament to the low mileage of this car.
    EDC shocks are without any leaks and they switch from Comfort to Sport flawlessly and the change on the road is obvious. I really love the fact that the car is fitted with EDC shocks.

Given that the car spent its life in Spain and hasn't seen any salt, it is completely rust free but it was sitting for a while and condensation got the best of the rear mufflers.

The outer metal had rotted away.

I was preparing the car for TÜV and even though it wasn't blowing exhaust fumes out of the holes, this would've been an instant visual fail. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on new exhaust and the used ones are all like this, but I kinda wanted to keep the stock setup so I was weighing my options. The old man that's renting me the garage is pretty good with metal and welding so he offered to cut out the bad metal and weld in the new pieces.

So I decided to give that a shot, removed the left muffler and chopped off the right one.

From the top they are in good order.

Finished product.

Got new hardware from HJS and bolts and copper nuts from the stealer.

Turned out great! Should last for a while until it's inevitably replaced.

Another oil change for good measure.

Then the car gently reminded me that the cooling system needs to be refreshed due to age by developing a small leak from the radiator.

New parts in - radiator, all coolant hoses, expansion tank and cap, bleed screw with the mounting clip, coolant...

Out with the old.

Pretty easy DIY and all buttoned up.

I wanted to round up the replacement of all fluids by changing the gearbox and diff oil.

75W-90 liquid for the open diff.

I always use MTF LT-2 in BMW manual gearboxes so I was kinda on the fence about ATF but that's what the sticker calls for and I went with it.

The fluid that came out was indeed ATF and it was nice in color. The gear changes were buttery smooth and tight prior to the change and it stayed like that with the new oil.

Then it was the big day and time to take E31 to TÜV and get it roadworthy again after nearly 10 years! A new chapter in this cars life.

Since this wasn't a German car and was lacking certain technical documents, the big TÜV § 21 had to be made. Which is like a normal TÜV but a bit thorough, longer and more expensive.

One happy TÜV inspector. The guy was actually thrilled about inspecting the 8 series and was smiling all the way through it.

They thoroughly checked the suspension, brakes, exhaust system, checked for leaks, etc...

The last step of the inspection was the emissions which went without a hitch.

And then I heard the sweet words: Alles in Ordnung mit dem Auto. The 8er passed the TÜV with flying colors and is fully road legal!
    I'm extremely happy with this development and the fact that this beauty is back on the road.

As a reward, I treated it with a period correct cassette radio. I believe from E36 but fits splendidly and I like the look of it. Even the cassette player is working.

It started being hot as hell outside so perfect time to break out Leatherique and treat the leather. I've used many leather products and cleaners over the years but nothing gets the job done like Leatherique.

The interior is absolutely mint.

Fresh wash for fresh pics.

The revival project of this forgotten machine is practically completed and the car is fully sorted. The final piece of the puzzle will be to get the A/C working.
    I finally learned that those 3 cut wires are actually from the plug for the A/C compressor. I'm sourcing necessary parts and hoping to get it fixed but it will be a challenging as this is also the old R12 system.

The sale has been kinda slow going and seems the market isn't as strong as it is in the US for these cars, but finding the right buyer always takes time so I'm patient.

YOU ALWAYS PUT TOO MUCH IN A SINGLE POST FOR ME TO DIGEST IT ALL

but I came away knowing exactly what the slick new cassette deck needed:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Falco-FALCO-...n/133093903457

don't disappoint me

Awesome work! Thanks for taking us along for the project.

YOU ALWAYS PUT TOO MUCH IN A SINGLE POST FOR ME TO DIGEST IT ALL

but I came away knowing exactly what the slick new cassette deck needed:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Falco-FALCO-...n/133093903457

don't disappoint me
    Holy moly, where did you whip out this one from?! I'm amazed actually.

If that doesn't sell the car I don't know what will.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Awesome work! Thanks for taking us along for the project.
    Thanks as well for following along!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Amazing update as always!

2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 39 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast