Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Checking flights to come buy some cool old BMW and bring it back to the States. As the wise @BMWCurves once told me, “saving is for suckers.”
    Tru dat homie

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I'm assuming the e39 has a traditional steering box judging by the center link?
    I can see now what you mean about the rear shock adjustment!
    Can't wait to see your progress with the 8 series... never seen one up close
    You know your stuff. E39 540i and M5 have traditional steering box while I6 engines have rack and pinion like ZHP. Steering in my old 530i and ZHP was much better and more precise. Steering box just can't match that.

8er is an amazing piece of Bavarian engineering. I just love this type of old-school engineering and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Checking flights to come do a Euro tour with your two cars next year...
    Checking flights to come buy some cool old BMW and bring it back to the States. As the wise @BMWCurves once told me, “saving is for suckers.”
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Tru dat homie
    Dudes, just book a flight and come on over! We have no speed limit Autobahn, Nürburgring, M5 and beer! I'll stock up on Estoril blue. Bring Will too

Changing spark plugs and PCV valves on a V12 was an interesting experience. Took me a better part of the day to get it done and I can't remember last time I cut and bruised my hands so much. You need acrobatic skills to reach sprak plug #12 and I'm not a very flexible human. Took me 2 days to recover from doing yoga with my girlfriend.

With that I completed some basic maintenance on the 850i and the big beast is already running smoother.

This car really has remarkable service history. I was going through the records the other day and the 2nd owner was spending some big money on it back in the day. There are few bills that go well over $14,000. The 8er received new clutch in 2001 which was just 4.000 miles ago, along with new water pump, tstat and other cooling components, control arms, belts, brake booster, ABS pump and bunch of other stuff. Shame how the last owner managed to neglect it.

Did some preventive maintenance on the M5 as well by servicing Vanos solenoids.

Vanos boards removed from the engine.

Brushed up on my soldering skills. Cleaned and resoldered all joints.

Removed old O rings and mesh filters. Activated each solenoid with 9V battery and thoroughly cleaned them with brake cleaner and compressed air. Slapped new O rings and reassembled everything on the car with new gaskets for the cover.

A vital part of maintenance to keep the beast running perfectly.

Then on Sunday decided to do nothing and just go for a nice drive. Went north of Frankfurt and hit the delightful backroads and long stretches of no speed limit zones of Autobahn.

After getting up to speed with maintenance, the M5 rides so nice now. I truly enjoy being behind the wheel, it rides perfect and feels super healthy.
    There are few more maintenance things to do like tackling seized fan clutch nut and replacing belts & pulleys and then I can turn my focus towards cosmetics.

Man, you are a maintenance machine! I wish I had the time to get into my car that much. It really needs it.
    There's nothing like driving a car after a fresh rebuild of the suspension and engine maitenance... especially when you do the work yourself.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Man, you are a maintenance machine! I wish I had the time to get into my car that much. It really needs it.
    There's nothing like driving a car after a fresh rebuild of the suspension and engine maitenance... especially when you do the work yourself.
    +1

My eyes also hurt reading not one but multiple $14k maintenance bills for the 8 series.

+1

My eyes also hurt reading not one but multiple $14k maintenance bills for the 8 series.
    Yea but it came with a sweet little scale model.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

There's nothing like driving a car after a fresh rebuild of the suspension and engine maintenance... especially when you do the work yourself.
    Thanks, Rob! You're spot on, professionals can do it faster and maybe better but a satisfaction of doing it yourself - there's nothing like it.

I'm lucky that mine is not a DD since I walk everywhere and generally don't like driving in the city so it can be down for a few days while I do the work.

+1

Well, after giving it a second look I might've been mistaken. Big invoices are from 2000-01-02 and Euro was introduced in France in 1999 but French Franc was still in circulation until 2002. It doesn't state which currency is it but it makes more sense that it's Francs. Nevertheless, there are tons of bills and the guy was dropping some serious dough.

There are some parts that are relatively cheap on the V12 like spark plugs ~$3 a pop but some things are preposterous.
    Brake booster that was replaced in 2000 and that's common to go on E31 is over $1.000 now. Intake manifold gaskets are around $200 a pop and you need 4 of them.

Yea but it came with a sweet little scale model.
    The little scale is the actual reason I bought the big car.

It even has its own tiny V12.

That little model is cool... We buy those for our kids but we end up keeping the best ones for ourselves... that one looks pretty functional.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Yeah, I can understand why you keep some This one is pretty sweet, it has all of the details in the interior, trunk and even complete underside with the exhaust.

Turned my attention to the interior. I deep cleaned and scrubbed carpets, mats and all plastic. I don't like sitting in filth and I had to clean and disinfected everything from the previous owners.

Leather wasn't particularly bad but you could tell it was dirty and in need of love. I decided to try ever so famous leatherique.

Unfortunately, I didn't take before pictures since I was applying the product in the night.

Here are the front seats after sitting through the night and all day baking in the sun with windows rolled up.

I tried various products over the years and all work in a similar way and get the job done, but nothing I used so far leaves clean matte finish as good as leatherique. The process is a bit mess but well worth it.

Interior is so fresh now and I love how black sport seats go along with titan trim.

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast