Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    love the finish on the wheels and think they came out perfect. lighting is hard on these wheels and even with a perfect batch, if the sun changes direction or the lighting changes.. then some of the wheels can look different shades... that's the only downfall really with this finish.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    At least we can say the word “squirrel.”

Checkmate, Germany.
    Too many natively English-people can't even say that word properly.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Damn the depth that that finish adds is just astounding. I'm excited to see some pics of them on the car in Golden hour lighting.

God I hate using "that that" in a sentence. Go explain that one to a German...
    Lol, living in Germany actually has a bad influence on my English. When you talk or write with someone who doesn't speak English very well, you gotta structure your sentences in a simplest manner with most common words and sometimes mix it up with German words.

Don't get me started on German Der, Die, Das... Think I'll never get a hang of it.

Those look incredible. One of my favorite wheels ever, and definitely my favorite finish. I was talking with a guy at Cars & Coffee once about Chrome Shadow refinishing. He explained to me the finish could vary so much on factory wheels it was actually someone’s job just to pick from big lots to get the 4 closest matches. He also said the manufacturing process was banned (lead I think?) and was fairly toxic, and that’s why getting “factory finish” is so damn hard.

I took a business writing course where the professor docked points for every unnecessary “that” she found in every assignment, which is about 90% of the times “that” is used. Basically my way of saying “Damn, the depth that finish adds is just astounding” (single “that”) is correct, boo.
    Yep, you can see and read many examples of this on M5board over the years. You'd buy them new from the dealer and they would arrive in different shades so they had to order them in bulk and then you pick the matching set.

Not sure about the ban but seems since it was such a complicated process where the finish depends on amount of silver that's added, they never got it under control with just one finish. Since last year, the rear rims are NLA from BMW and no one knows if the production will be restarted. In light of that, the prices for used sets blew up and people are getting silly and asking stupid money for them. Just last week I saw a set for $2.000, new they were around $1.600.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Well that whole sentence isn't proper anyway, which is probably why it won't make sense to a German.
    I would have phrased it as such: "Damn, the depth of that finish is astounding."

I only mentioned it because you brought it up. lol

I agree with your statement. I can't believe they did such a good job with that finish. I imagine getting the finish the same on all four is the hardest part. It may just be the lighting, but it looks to me as though two of the wheels are darker than the rest. Is that the case in person, Sreten?
    In person they are all the same color, just depends on lighting and under which angle you take pictures.

Have a looky here.

You can see how they are lighter/darker depending on conditions.

I was made aware by few shops that when going for Chrome Shadow you must refinish them all at once. Lepsons even wanted me to sign a disclaimer that if I damage them in the future they have to refinish minimum 2 rims from one side or ideally all 4 to get the same finish otherwise they will certainly be different. Also the finish will vary from the technician to technician that's doing the work.

That said, I'm really pleased with the service and how these turned out, especially considering the price I paid. It's very finicky process and reason why it's usually costly to refinish them. Highest quote I got in Germany was 1.200€ and they didn't even sound confident they could get the right finish.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dude I hear you. Your language is surprisingly tough to "dumb down" when hanging out with non-native English speakers. We get exhausted after a couple of days over there with our friends even though they speak English fine. That constant battle of trying to form a sentence with the most basic of words, pronounce everything clearly, and avoid idioms and nuance....ugh...I'm tired just thinking about it.

I also pick up a German accent on my English after a few days because I'm a gd parrot.

Oh and die/der/das cannot be learned. I understand the basic instances where it affects the meaning of the noun, but it's a total crapshoot for a lot of stuff and you would only know it if you were born and raised there. Our friends taught me to just use a short "deh" sound, like the beginning of each of them and no one will notice or care. It got me through our last trip and I have since given up on the German language because it is impossible.

At least we can say the word “squirrel.”

Checkmate, Germany.
    LOL. Do you know I try this out with most of the Germans? That Clarkson reference always gets me. :D
    We were in Paris for Easter and I just wanted to make some random French to say imediatement and uncomfutabul - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQugEZOrZSc

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    love the finish on the wheels and think they came out perfect. lighting is hard on these wheels and even with a perfect batch, if the sun changes direction or the lighting changes.. then some of the wheels can look different shades... that's the only downfall really with this finish.
    Agreed! It's tough to show off the finish properly but you can almost immediately tell if the finish is not the right one. I've seen so many attempts and failures. I kinda dig they change appearance under certain situations, you could say it's what makes them stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Dude I hear you. Your language is surprisingly tough to "dumb down" when hanging out with non-native English speakers. We get exhausted after a couple of days over there with our friends even though they speak English fine. That constant battle of trying to form a sentence with the most basic of words, pronounce everything clearly, and avoid idioms and nuance....ugh...I'm tired just thinking about it.

I also pick up a German accent on my English after a few days because I'm a gd parrot.

Oh and die/der/das cannot be learned. I understand the basic instances where it affects the meaning of the noun, but it's a total crapshoot for a lot of stuff and you would only know it if you were born and raised there. Our friends taught me to just use a short "deh" sound, like the beginning of each of them and no one will notice or care. It got me through our last trip and I have since given up on the German language because it is impossible.
    So you actually do get me. We ought to share some stories one day while having a cold German brewsky.
    English is not my first language but I'm fluent and living in California for a few years helped shape up my accent but I feel like I'm losing touch sometimes. I find it much easier and relaxing when talking to a native English speaker, it's an odd feeling.

I was told I do a pretty good German accent.

No rules when it comes to die/der/das, just have to always learn them with the words. I'm A1.2 and the going is tough, not sure how long I'm gonna stick around here (introduction of the speed limit on die Autobahn would be a deciding factor) but I'll learn it sooner or later. I can understand the common stuff and know enough to get around, but speaking is painful.

My girlfriend is fluent in English, German, Spanish and understands and speaks French well, she's actually perfecting it now. And her mother tongue is Macedonia, some people just have it naturally...

Damn those refinished wheels look awesome! Your attention to detail is superb

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk Pro

Absolutely man. We're not planning anymore trips across the pond for a while but I'll certainly head over there if @704sw ever gets his ducks in line to make a trip to the ring.

Good example of our point came from my buddy that has been living in England for 3 years: He said that he and his wife are elated when they hear an American accent because they're just so much easier to talk to. Even though there's no language barrier or limits on vocabulary, there's just so much nuance in American English that you can only communicate with someone that's lived here.

Amazing finish on the wheels! Congrats on getting them back and sharing the results with us.

Not how I was excepting to find my beloved car today...

Some fucking asshole helped himself to the glass from my side mirrors.

Moron managed to break actuators in the process as well. The car sleeps in a locked garage along with other expensive cars but someone definitely targeted my M5 since this is the first time something like this is happening.

Die Polizei came out, made a report, dusted for fingerprints and collected DNA from the connectors. They got at least one good fingerprint, I truly hope the bastard is in the database.

Hopefully the insurance will cover it as the damage is roughly 1.260€. Those mirror glasses are stupid money.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear the news. This sucks big time.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast