Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Thanks man! Mine was similar but much worse as you saw. I didn't know e46 had these issues. Probably not as common as with e39.

I refreshed belts and pulleys over the weekend.

I went with Ruville parts which had INA engraved on them.

Water Pump / Alternator / Power Steering Belt - 11281710045 x2
    AC Compressor Belt - 531076010 x1
    And Continental belts.

Fairly easy and quick job to do. Drove the car onto the ramps, removed the fan clutch and underbody panel and that gives you enough space to work with.

All 3 pulleys were shot and spinning freely, but surprisingly didn't make that much noise.
    AC belt was replaced at some point and was still good, while the serpentine had cracks.

Glad to have done this. The parts are not expensive and it's good maintenance.

And now the upcoming major update.

I decided to replace the clutch. When I test drove the car in Italy it wasn't that bad and felt like an old original clutch.
    Now that I've been driving it more, I can feel that it's showing symptoms of a failing clutch.

For example, the clutch pedal is very stiff and catches I would say kinda high.
    If I'm not careful with the gear changes and my foot isn't entirely off the clutch, it will slip. If it's leaned just a bit on top of the clutch pedal, it will start to slip.
    When I push it hard and just go through the gears, it will never slip and I can probably get a lot more miles out of this clutch, but it's not very enjoyable to drive and since this is probably the original clutch it makes sense to change it before it gets worse and I burn the flywheel completely. Hopefully, I can get away without replacing the flywheel this time, but I won't know that until the transmission is out.

So I made a pretty decent parts list for this job which I will post later down the road. There is a lot of useful information on the board regarding this topic which helped a lot.

Unfortunately, this isn't something I can do myself on the floor of my garage and I found what appears to be a very good shop that will do the work for me.
    They are not far from me and they specialize in M models from this era. I paid them a visit last week and had a nice chat with them. They are also BMW enthusiast who daily drive E36 M3, E46 M3 and X5 M. I was told that they do everything by the book and won't rush the job which is important to me.

They were actually working on another E39 M5 that day. '02 Le Mans blue M5 with 100k miles that was getting around $7.000 worth of work. New guides, vanos, bearings... Kinda scary to hear and see this. His opinion is that this example was seriously neglected and was just nasty when they opened it up.

My M5 should go under the knife on Wednesday so stay tuned.
    Last edited by Sreten; 04-16-2018 at 12:40 PM.

love your attention to detail! what kind of clutch are you going to use? also... maybe a good idea while you're in there to replace the DMF with an SMF? i was really impressed with the valeo steel SMF i used for my car, it's the same weight as the stock DMF.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Yay to clutch jobs...

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Yay to clutch jobs...
    Said no one with enthusiasm, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post

getting the trans off on these cars is not fun - the top passenger side bolt is nigh-impossible to both remove and install, and the amount of clearance in the trans tunnel to actually get the trans out/in whilst trying to gently slide it off/on the input shaft is...... well, very little.

enjoy, vas!!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    getting the trans off on these cars is not fun - the top passenger side bolt is nigh-impossible to both remove and install, and the amount of clearance in the trans tunnel to actually get the trans out/in whilst trying to gently slide it off/on the input shaft is...... well, very little.

enjoy, vas!!
    Come on down and help out

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Come on down and help out
    that would be super fun! but after the time-sucking project i just went through... my wife would kill me.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

love your attention to detail! what kind of clutch are you going to use? also... maybe a good idea while you're in there to replace the DMF with an SMF? i was really impressed with the valeo steel SMF i used for my car, it's the same weight as the stock DMF.
    Thanks, Peter! I love working on it and I try to document along the way as best as I can.

I'm using OEM LUK Clutch kit that I bought while Cyber Monday was going on for $200 shipped which I think was a good deal.
    Didn't want to experiment too much there and OEM always works out the best.

Given the low mileage of the car, I'm guessing the clutch is original and I'm hoping to dodge that bullet this time around and not change it.
    Normally I wouldn't take that risk and just order a new one, but that will set me back another $700 and I already sunk a ton of money in the car, plus I placed an order for Eisenmann exhaust which should be produced and available to buy in late January. I've been dying to get more sound out of this V8.

But, if the flywheel ends up being heavily burned and has a lot of play, I will of course have to replace it.

Do you get any chatter with the single flywheel now? I know I was getting a decent amount of rattle with the stock DMF on my old ZHP.

Yay to clutch jobs...
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post

Exactly, not an easy job. Although, I did ask them if there was a chance that I could participate in this as it would be interesting for me and good experience, but that's understandably not possible due insurance reasons and generally not having somebody who will be pain in the butt and ask million questions.

enjoy, vas!!
    Besides that, I think on the M5 the most painful part could be the giant exhaust that weighs half a ton and needs to come out in one piece.

Last edited by Sreten; 04-16-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
    Besides that, I think on the M5 the most painful part could be the giant exhaust that weighs half a ton and needs to come out in one piece.
    Damn, look at those cans.

Good stuff. GL w the rest of the work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast