Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I am thoroughly confused by your post John. LOL

Fine, fine, fine... I know it's overdue! If you send a cure for laziness, that might help. lol
    This is becoming more of a hot button topic, so I will carve out some time tonight to start writing it up. Hold me to it.

The only reason to buy this is for Apple CarPlay, from what I can see. Even then, it doesn't seem like it's worth double for that one feature.

From what I gathered, its just android usb unit that has an APK on the android unit to mimic a Carplay receiver.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...droid-t3647996

I am thoroughly confused by your post John. LOL

Fine, fine, fine... I know it's overdue! If you send a cure for laziness, that might help. lol
    This is becoming more of a hot button topic, so I will carve out some time tonight to start writing it up. Hold me to it.

The only reason to buy this is for Apple CarPlay, from what I can see. Even then, it doesn't seem like it's worth double for that one feature.
    Im actually interested in the review as well. BP, you PM'd me about yours and ive been reading up on it. I think it might be the way to go. I was so hung up on having car play but I'm start to get over it.

EDIT: Can your unit accept a lightning cable to read an iphone? I'm curious if I could pair the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    Im actually interested in the review as well. BP, you PM'd me about yours and ive been reading up on it. I think it might be the way to go. I was so hung up on having car play but I'm start to get over it.

EDIT: Can your unit accept a lightning cable to read an iphone? I'm curious if I could pair the two together.
    I took screenshots tonight in preparation for my review. Unfortunately my evening got totally jacked by a family member, so screenshots is all I have at the moment. I'll start typing it up tonight and finish tomorrow.

As far as lightning goes, there are three USB connections for the unit, so I'm sure you can plug in an iPhone with it's cable. I don't have an iPhone but I'll borrow a friend's phone tomorrow morning and test it out. You can also pair through Bluetooth, if that makes any difference to you. I'm also going to test a USB aux connection as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I took screenshots tonight in preparation for my review. Unfortunately my evening got totally jacked by a family member, so screenshots is all I have at the moment. I'll start typing it up tonight and finish tomorrow.

As far as lightning goes, there are three USB connections for the unit, so I'm sure you can plug in an iPhone with it's cable. I don't have an iPhone but I'll borrow a friend's phone tomorrow morning and test it out. You can also pair through Bluetooth, if that makes any difference to you. I'm also going to test a USB aux connection as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    That would be awesome. No rush. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post

I spent a painstaking amount of time writing up this review the past two or three days. Finally done.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...113#post548113
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Everyone's input has been appreciated.
    Thanks guys.

On to my next consideration, Google Pixel 2

For anyone else wondering what the "specs and features" of the Avin Avant 3 are, here is what their customer support told me via email:

The Avant-3 will look 98% like the OEM factory navigation system
    Harmon Kardon supported
    DSP is supported
    Onboard computer supported
    Android OS version 6.0
    8core CPU
    2GB RAM memory
    32GB Internal Storage.

Bluetooth 4.0
    Option for Apple CarPlay / Android Auto
    Support for Valentine V1 Radar Detector
    All new radio tuner with the best reception
    DAB+ support for Europe
    More powerful amplifier with nice clean sound
    4V RCA Preamp Output
    Long range WIFI support for both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands
    4G LTE built-in
    Your head unit will be able to have its own phone number, make and receive calls without ever being connected to your mobile phone.
    Support Tire Pressure Monitor System.
    Digital TV ATSC and DVBT
    Bluetooth OBD2 for Torque performance and diagnostic

So... a very interesting sequence of events occurred last night.

I asked Avin for my deposit back, and they had refunded me within 10 minutes or so of requesting it. Then for some reason I went back to their site to look at the unit (I think I wanted to check something) and the chat with Tommy came up.

Not long after, I had bought one with a big discount. I offered to write a review on the unit and he included some items for me to review as well.
    After all is said and done (including the discount, the accumulation of payment for a couple of side jobs, the probable sale of my Xtrons unit, and a nice refund check from my mortgage company), I will have an Avant 3 for practically nothing out of pocket. As part of our agreement, I will be making a full instructional DIY on doing the retrofit from a Business radio equipped car, including swapping in the HVAC relocation bracket and all the information on part numbers and tools needed to do the retro.

I was asked for both a written guide and an instructional video, so expect those at some point in the near future. I will then follow that up with a full review of the unit and most of its major functions, including the functionality of the optional DVR (dash cam), optional backup camera (dashcam and backup camera are sold as a package), and TPMS system with the optional sensors. Later in the year, perhaps spring or early summer, I will complete my factory PDC retrofit and will write a mini review of the way the unit integrates with the PDC system.

I guess I've become the nav reviewer of the forum. lol

And to answer the burning question: why did I end up buying one?
    The answer: I knew that Avin had amazing customer support (which was proven last night). It appears that they took this long to come out with the unit because they were taking the time to iron out the bugs that the other manufacturers didn't bother with. This is what I was told, so we will see if this is truly the case. I hope it's true, but when it comes to pretty much zero cost, how could I not find out? I'm on a mission to find out if this is a truly "you get what you pay for" type of head unit.

P.S. - for those who are interested in finding out whether Android Auto or Apply CarPlay works properly with the unit, I'm willing to test it out for you if you donate me the required cable, and I'll send it back to you if you end up ordering one.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I ended up going with an Eonon GA8150A, but the Avin 3 looks like a very nice unit with a lot of extra features and polish. Looking forward to your review.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast