Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

FCP Euro Suspension Refresh Kit?

I'm considering buying https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-33500429577kt before the 25% runs out at midnight. It brings Sachs struts and shocks, and Lemforder control arms.

I picked up my car in February with 76k miles from Denver, CO and drove it to Boston with 2 friends. It had O.Z. Racing Ultraleggera 18" wheels (no idea about the offset) and on deep potholes/indents in the road you could hear how the wheels hit the chassis (I'm assuming fenders). We hit it a handful of times during the whole trip. Now, I'm at ~86k miles and, with just me in the car, I always hear it on the way to work in this deep indent on the highway going about 80 mph. It sounds like its only the back tires, specifically the back right one but I haven't inspected it at all.

Question: Go for the whole refresh kit or buy OEM (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...em-33500429577) or buy just the rear shocks (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...it-556882kt3)?

EDIT: I prefer a sportier ride, have a E36 M3 that feels like a racecar

I was ready to buy a similar FCP kit over the weekend. Then I heard some parts included in it (control arms) may still be in good shape. I decided to pass. My action plan is to discuss with my Indy before buying parts for the refresh.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I was ready to buy a similar FCP kit over the weekend. Then I heard some parts included in it (control arms) may still be in good shape. I decided to pass. My action plan is to discuss with my Indy before buying parts for the refresh.
    Right on.

I'd hold off and dig into parts as they either need to be replaced or you want to upgrade to something sportier.

The rubbing in the rear is likely due to the wheel offset. Do you have any pics of the rear at least?

If you want a sportier feel than your current car's suspension, factory Sachs shocks/struts probably won't provide that for you.

As always, I recommend my 50k mile suspension refresh thread for an "OEM+" feel. It used Koni Sport shocks/struts that are adjustable. I have yet to replace my control arms.

If you like stiffness, another alternative are Bilstein HD shocks/struts or some form of coilover.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Right on.

I'd hold off and dig into parts as they either need to be replaced or you want to upgrade to something sportier.

The rubbing in the rear is likely due to the wheel offset. Do you have any pics of the rear at least?
    Thanks for that (+fredo), going to wait then. The car is currently in the shop because somebody hit me coming out of a side street in the city . I'll get it back later this week and take some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    If you want a sportier feel than your current car's suspension, factory Sachs shocks/struts probably won't provide that for you.

As always, I recommend my 50k mile suspension refresh thread for an "OEM+" feel. It used Koni Sport shocks/struts that are adjustable. I have yet to replace my control arms.

If you like stiffness, another alternative are Bilstein HD shocks/struts or some form of coilover.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years
    This is gold - thank you! I'm eyeing Bilstein's for sure, but I might just do a stock refresh since I've never felt what that feels like. Suspension was already pretty worn when I got it.

I also live in and commute in the Boston area. I used the FCP Euro Lemforder/Sachs ZHP suspension refresh kit a few years back with great results. At the time I also did the M3 RTABs with limiters, added front strut reinforcement plates, added an M3 strut tower brace, and replaced my steering coupler. This past summer I upgraded my sway bars to the ECS tuning 27/21 sway bar kit with poly bushings. In my opinion the car now has the perfect balance between performance handling and driving comfort. I actually drove it to work this morning for the first time in 2 weeks and though not as capable in the snow, it is still a much more fun car to drive than my newly acquired 2013 X1 35i M-sport. The only thing I would love to try on it someday would be a set of KONI FSD shocks and struts. I had these on my prior 2003 330i sport and I loved the way they felt.
    Steve,
    2004 330i zhp
    2009 X3
    2013 X1 35i M-Sport

Quote Originally Posted by hickatew View Post
    This is gold - thank you! I'm eyeing Bilstein's for sure, but I might just do a stock refresh since I've never felt what that feels like. Suspension was already pretty worn when I got it.
    My only reservation with the original Sachs struts is that they will only last 40-50k miles. Because our cars are stiffly sprung, you don't really notice that the shocks are worn, but mine were definitely gone at 50k miles. I love my Konis and they're usually good for 100k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    My only reservation with the original Sachs struts is that they will only last 40-50k miles. Because our cars are stiffly sprung, you don't really notice that the shocks are worn, but mine were definitely gone at 50k miles. I love my Konis and they're usually good for 100k miles.
    But lifetime warranty with fcpeuro!

If you diy it’s not a big deal but if you get a shop to replace them every 50k miles it can get expensive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    But lifetime warranty with fcpeuro!

If you diy it’s not a big deal but if you get a shop to replace them every 50k miles it can get expensive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair point. I just prefer the adjustability of the Konis. That, and I am trying to maximize the time span between now and when I have to use my spring compressors again.

Check for broken springs.