Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone have RCR sedan tail lights?

It looks like my Eagle Eye LED tails have once again shit the bed. The drivers side tail light keeps giving me a rocket booster intermittently. So sometimes I have a working brake light and turn signal, other times I don't. I'm actually on my second pair of eagle eyes, my first set had dead LED's on the drivers side right outside of the year warranty period. Bought a new pair in 2013 and now the drivers side has failed again, so the fresh passenger side tail does me no good.

Is anyone running red/clear/red tails on their sedan? Did you go with DEPO or OEM? The DEPO brand are tempting because they are only $120 from Khoalty, whereas the OEM ones I've found are from Turner for about $300.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...sedan-2002-05/

Is there a cheaper place to find them?

Also I know some people run these with LED bulbs which is something I want to do if I go this route. I would need coding to avoid the rocket boosters coming on right?

Anyone have pics? Just thinking out loud here.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I have the depo ones. You have seen them. I haven't had any problems and fitment is 100 imo.

I love my OE ones on my old car. Hella makes the OEM models you see on TMS.

You can even scour the UK ebay sites to find some nice deals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-E46...173014?vxp=mtr

I use OE RCR's with a full complement of LED bulbs. As long as you use CANBUS bulbs, you will not get hyperflash or bulb-out errors (rocket boosters). Assuming CANBUS bulbs, all you will have to do is code out the cold and hot bulb checks so they don't flicker at startup and while driving.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    I have the depo ones. You have seen them. I haven't had any problems and fitment is 100 imo.
    Yeah I have seen yours, and they looked OEM. The one gripe I had with my eagle eyes is the part of plastic that hugs the trunk area. On the eagle eyes this part is exposed and you can see wiring and stuff from the inside. I had to install some weather stripping on it to make sure water didn't get in. My OEM R/A/R tails had a nice smooth piece of plastic that blended the trunk lid and didn't expose anything. Do the DEPO brand headlights have this too? I'll look for a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I love my OE ones on my old car. Hella makes the OEM models you see on TMS.

You can even scour the UK ebay sites to find some nice deals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-E46...173014?vxp=mtr
    I might just shell out the cash and get OEM RCR tails. It's a lot of money I wasn't planning on spending but if I ever sell the car it might be nicer to have OEM stuff on it instead of aftermarket. I'd feel more comfortable buying a car from an owner who always went the OEM route.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I use OE RCR's with a full complement of LED bulbs. As long as you use CANBUS bulbs, you will not get hyperflash or bulb-out errors (rocket boosters). Assuming CANBUS bulbs, all you will have to do is code out the cold and hot bulb checks so they don't flicker at startup and while driving.
    Can you link me which CANBUS bulbs you purchased? I want to get the exact same ones to avoid issues. Are they bright enough? Brighter than regular bulbs?

Also if I don't get the car coded, will the bulbs just flicker non stop while the lights are on?
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Can you link me which CANBUS bulbs you purchased? I want to get the exact same ones to avoid issues. Are they bright enough? Brighter than regular bulbs?

Also if I don't get the car coded, will the bulbs just flicker non stop while the lights are on?
    I can't link you to the exact ones I purchased as I don't have that seller's information anymore. This was a few years ago, so the listings dropped from my eBay list. I can, however, link you to ones from other sellers that look like the same ones.

These all come in pairs, so Qty 1 = 2 bulbs.
    Note: These bulbs will most likely interfere with your FM Radio signal. When they are illuminated, they introduce static for some odd reason. If the turn signals are on, you'll hear static interrupt your FM broadcast as they blink. There is no static if you don't use the FM radio at all, and doesn't affect other radio operations.

Brake lights - Red CREE 1156 CANBUS
    If you plan on only using these for brake lights, then you only need Qty 1. If you plan on using these for running lights as well, then you'll need Qty 4.
    Note: I do not recommend using these as running lights (the bottom row of bulbs) because they run significantly brighter than incandescent bulbs in their "half illuminated" state and can be pretty uncomfortable for others to look at when it's dark out. In my setup, all of my bottom-row bulbs are incandescents, while the turns and brake lights are LEDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Canbus-...xTrlyX&vxp=mtr

Turn signals - Amber CREE 1156 CANBUS
    You'll need either Qty 1 if you only want to use these in the rear, or Qty 2 if you wish to use them front and rear. I recommend doing front and rear so that you have matching pairs. Plus it looks so cool from the front.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canbus-1156...5TwCSZ&vxp=mtr

To top it off, you may be interested in white bulbs for the reverse lights. Qty 1 needed.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-1156-750...xT229d&vxp=mtr

As far as brightness goes, these are brighter than stock incandescents, and are highly visible even during direct sunlight.
    Regarding flicker, the flicker only happens periodically as the CANBUS system checks for bulb health, so they don't flicker constantly, just every few minutes. With the hot and cold bulb checks disabled, they don't flicker at all.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I can't link you to the exact ones I purchased as I don't have that seller's information anymore. This was a few years ago, so the listings dropped from my eBay list. I can, however, link you to ones from other sellers that look like the same ones.

These all come in pairs, so Qty 1 = 2 bulbs.
    Note: These bulbs will most likely interfere with your FM Radio signal. When they are illuminated, they introduce static for some odd reason. If the turn signals are on, you'll hear static interrupt your FM broadcast as they blink. There is no static if you don't use the FM radio at all, and doesn't affect other radio operations.

Brake lights - Red CREE 1156 CANBUS
    If you plan on only using these for brake lights, then you only need Qty 1. If you plan on using these for running lights as well, then you'll need Qty 4.
    Note: I do not recommend using these as running lights (the bottom row of bulbs) because they run significantly brighter than incandescent bulbs in their "half illuminated" state and can be pretty uncomfortable for others to look at when it's dark out. In my setup, all of my bottom-row bulbs are incandescents, while the turns and brake lights are LEDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Canbus-...xTrlyX&vxp=mtr

Turn signals - Amber CREE 1156 CANBUS
    You'll need either Qty 1 if you only want to use these in the rear, or Qty 2 if you wish to use them front and rear. I recommend doing front and rear so that you have matching pairs. Plus it looks so cool from the front.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canbus-1156...5TwCSZ&vxp=mtr

To top it off, you may be interested in white bulbs for the reverse lights. Qty 1 needed.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-1156-750...xT229d&vxp=mtr

As far as brightness goes, these are brighter than stock incandescents, and are highly visible even during direct sunlight.
    Regarding flicker, the flicker only happens periodically as the CANBUS system checks for bulb health, so they don't flicker constantly, just every few minutes. With the hot and cold bulb checks disabled, they don't flicker at all.
    Thanks for the reply Botond.

How bad is the static? I use my radio all the time so the fact that these bulbs interfere with the radio blows my mind.

I might use the LED bulbs in the lower half as well as the brake lights. My eagle eyes are pretty bright and I like that.

What about the inner tails? Since you run incandescents I'm guessing you didn't need LED's? If I ran LED's on the bottom lights I would need LED's in the inner tails to keep things uniform?
    ~Rob~

Rob, I have nothing to add since I have a coupe. But I want to point out RCRs will look killer on your car.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

How bad is the static? I use my radio all the time so the fact that these bulbs interfere with the radio blows my mind.
    You might have to try them out to see if it's acceptable for you. It's not noticeable if the station has a strong signal, but I've had issues on a few stations. I tried and am currently using some other bulbs, which seem to be slightly less static-y. It could be just placebo.

Also, I still have an issue with the hot and cold checks even though they're coded off. This seems to be an isolated issue just for me. I'll try different different bulbs first before bothering to look at it in more detail.

Thanks for the reply Botond.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    You might have to try them out to see if it's acceptable for you. It's not noticeable if the station has a strong signal, but I've had issues on a few stations. I tried and am currently using some other bulbs, which seem to be slightly less static-y. It could be just placebo.
    I should clarify. The static is more of an issue when you have a weak radio signal. There are times where I have a very strong signal and I won't hear static at all when the lights are activated. It really depends on your scenario. It's probably safe to say that the static issue is only aggravated by a weak signal.

I might use the LED bulbs in the lower half as well as the brake lights. My eagle eyes are pretty bright and I like that.
    It's a little hard to explain, but I'll try my best.
    Have you ever seen various cars on the road with really cheap looking LED tail lights (aftermarket)? These are the lights that are are at almost full brightness when in just parking light mode, and when the brake is applied, it doesn't get much brighter. That's what it looks like when you run these LEDs as running lights in our cars. There may be some PWM settings to fix that, but I haven't figured it out.

Also remember that people behind you are likely to get annoyed. It's the equivalent of driving in front of someone who has their high beams stuck on - they're that bright. It's like the bulbs don't know how to handle being at half brightness and say "eff it, I'm going HAM". I don't think the Eagle Eyes are that bright when acting in parking light mode.

What about the inner tails? Since you run incandescents I'm guessing you didn't need LED's? If I ran LED's on the bottom lights I would need LED's in the inner tails to keep things uniform?
    If you ran LEDs as running lights, you'd need the trunk lights as well, which is why I recommended 4 pairs. It doesn't look right if you mix and match the incandescent running lights due to the extreme brightness differences in how the LEDs handle "parking light mode".

I'll install my extra LED bulbs and I'll take a pic to show you the difference between the incandescents and LEDs as parking lights.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast