Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Rob, I have nothing to add since I have a coupe. But I want to point out RCRs will look killer on your car.
    Duly noted. It's definitely the cleaner look and the more I look at it the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    You might have to try them out to see if it's acceptable for you. It's not noticeable if the station has a strong signal, but I've had issues on a few stations. I tried and am currently using some other bulbs, which seem to be slightly less static-y. It could be just placebo.

Also, I still have an issue with the hot and cold checks even though they're coded off. This seems to be an isolated issue just for me. I'll try different different bulbs first before bothering to look at it in more detail.
    That's interesting about the hot and cold checks. I remember when Botond had his DEPO LED tails and when he started the car they flickered on at first. Pretty cool.

What bulbs are you running? Are they as bright?

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I should clarify. The static is more of an issue when you have a weak radio signal. There are times where I have a very strong signal and I won't hear static at all when the lights are activated. It really depends on your scenario. It's probably safe to say that the static issue is only aggravated by a weak signal.

It's a little hard to explain, but I'll try my best.
    Have you ever seen various cars on the road with really cheap looking LED tail lights (aftermarket)? These are the lights that are are at almost full brightness when in just parking light mode, and when the brake is applied, it doesn't get much brighter. That's what it looks like when you run these LEDs as running lights in our cars. There may be some PWM settings to fix that, but I haven't figured it out.

Also remember that people behind you are likely to get annoyed. It's the equivalent of driving in front of someone who has their high beams stuck on - they're that bright. It's like the bulbs don't know how to handle being at half brightness and say "eff it, I'm going HAM". I don't think the Eagle Eyes are that bright when acting in parking light mode.

If you ran LEDs as running lights, you'd need the trunk lights as well, which is why I recommended 4 pairs. It doesn't look right if you mix and match the incandescent running lights due to the extreme brightness differences in how the LEDs handle "parking light mode".

I'll install my extra LED bulbs and I'll take a pic to show you the difference between the incandescents and LEDs as parking lights.
    I would love to see a video comparison between the two bulb types. Honestly, I want them bright. I want people to not run into my car. Maybe I'll try it with regular bulbs first and then switch to LED's if I like the way they look.

Dude I wished you lived closer so I could get some coding stuff done. Time was so short at the mafia meet I didn't get time to look at my inner tail light issue. I also plan to retrofit some Bi-Xenons into my car and do away with halogens and would need my LCM coded for that. I'll probably have to buy a new one and ship it to someone to have it coded because I can't ship mine out and not have headlights for a week or so.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I just took some pictures to help show the difference.

Incandescent running lights only:

IMG_20171130_160731 by botond.pal, on Flickr

Incandescent running lights with LED brake lights:

IMG_20171130_160846 by botond.pal, on Flickr

LED running lights on the left, incandescent running lights on the right (left trunk light was swapped but caught it on the odd refresh rate so it doesn't show properly in the pic):

IMG_20171130_161048 by botond.pal, on Flickr

LED brake lights on both sides, left has LED running lights and right has incandescent running lights:

IMG_20171130_161122 by botond.pal, on Flickr

As you can see from the last pic, the running light is almost as bright as the brake on application.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I love my OE ones on my old car. Hella makes the OEM models you see on TMS.

You can even scour the UK ebay sites to find some nice deals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-E46...173014?vxp=mtr
    I checked realoem to find the part number, but for some reason that site only shows the coupe red/clear tail light and doesn't show the RCR. Turner says OEM is ULO brand. Maybe they don't sell Hella anymore?
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    I checked realoem to find the part number, but for some reason that site only shows the coupe red/clear tail light and doesn't show the RCR. Turner says OEM is ULO brand. Maybe they don't sell Hella anymore?

I'm pretty sure ULO is an OEM supplier, so it should be the same as Genuine BMW. I don't think Hella made our tail lights, though not sure.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I just took some pictures to help show the difference.

Incandescent running lights only:

IMG_20171130_160731 by botond.pal, on Flickr

Incandescent running lights with LED brake lights:

IMG_20171130_160846 by botond.pal, on Flickr

LED running lights on the left, incandescent running lights on the right (left trunk light was swapped but caught it on the odd refresh rate so it doesn't show properly in the pic):

IMG_20171130_161048 by botond.pal, on Flickr

LED brake lights on both sides, left has LED running lights and right has incandescent running lights:

IMG_20171130_161122 by botond.pal, on Flickr

As you can see from the last pic, the running light is almost as bright as the brake on application.
    Thanks for the pictures that was very helpful.

Yeah I agree with you, the LED bulbs in the bottom of the tail light look way too bright in running mode.

Remind me again, when you press the brake pedal, do the bottom bulbs of the tail light get brighter? In your picture they look the same with the brake applied and running.
    ~Rob~

What bulbs are you running? Are they as bright?
    Currently on these:
    https://hidkitpros.com/shop/1156-ba15s-30w-cree/
    Though I believe the performance is very very similar to the ones BP linked. Price premium is not really worth it. I can't say the difference (if any) was significant enough.

I also tried these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCZE292/
    These seemed to be slightly dimmer, though barely.

There was a cheap set I also bought on alibaba. There was no static (yay), but when the brakes were on the light was just as dim as the incandescent running lights.

I spent a bit too much time and money trying to find the perfect set. The good thing is since I only did the brake lights, if I don't hit the brakes I won't get any static.

By the way, I found these really cheap on the site I used to buy replacement fender and bumper parts for the GLI:

http://www.carparts.com/details/BMW/...L/B730114.html
    http://www.carparts.com/details/BMW/...L/B730113.html

$78 for each outer tail, $69 for both inner lights

http://www.carparts.com/details/BMW/...T-B730109.html

The Depos are a decent bit cheaper, which leads to believe that these may be a more premium brand. Unfortunately it doesn't say the brand.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Here's 2 mediocre pictures I had from when I was trying out some bulbs in the daylight.

This is the nslumo
    Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  56.0 KB

And this is the not so effective brake light bulb
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  57.8 KB

By the way, I found these really cheap on the site I used to buy replacement fender and bumper parts for the GLI:

http://www.carparts.com/details/BMW/...L/B730114.html
    http://www.carparts.com/details/BMW/...L/B730113.html

$78 for each outer tail, $69 for both inner lights

http://www.carparts.com/details/BMW/...T-B730109.html

The Depos are a decent bit cheaper, which leads to believe that these may be a more premium brand. Unfortunately it doesn't say the brand.
    Thanks Botond, I think I'm gonna go with the pair from Turner which is only $6 more than what you linked. Good to know whats out there.

@holycow

Yeah I definitely l definitely like the other LEDs better. With the second picture it's pretty much the same as the regular bulb.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    ~Rob~

Thanks Botond, I think I'm gonna go with the pair from Turner which is only $6 more than what you linked. Good to know whats out there.

$6 more? Turner's rear-only kit is $299 while what I linked is $225. Am I missing something?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast