Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    I think that was @ZHPizza but I could be wrong.

Really fantastic writeup, Botond. I’m curious to see how your iPhone testing goes whenever you try it out. Question: I know you said the brightness doesn’t change with the rheostat, but do the buttons’ brightness change when you change the screen brightness? I like keeping things fairly dim in the cabin at night, especially on the highway.
    Key backlighting does not change at all, regardless of circumstances; they're only on or off, depending on whether interior lighting is active/inactive. The on-screen brightness controls only controls the display brightness. You can also long press on the on-screen control for brightness to turn the display off. Pressing any buttons or touching the screen turns the display back on.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I think that was @ZHPizza but I could be wrong.
    Found it!

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?p=544096

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Key backlighting does not change at all, regardless of circumstances; they're only on or off, depending on whether interior lighting is active/inactive. The on-screen brightness controls only controls the display brightness. You can also long press on the on-screen control for brightness to turn the display off. Pressing any buttons or touching the screen turns the display back on.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

First, thanks for the response! This unit is becoming more and more appealing.

What launcher are you currently using? And what do you search for to find custom launchers? I'm not familiar with Android (trapped myself in the iOS ecosystem).

There is no ambient light sensor. I haven't seen any similar units that do. The screen dims ever so slightly when the lights are turned on, but it's such a small brightness difference that it's hard to notice. I do find myself pressing the on-screen brightness button to adjust every time ambient light goes from dark to light and vice versa. Also, the button backlighting does not change brightness when using the adjustment wheel on the LCM, which isn't a problem for me since I run full brightness on my interior lighting, but may bug those who do not. Added this information to the review.
    Is that something you think could be programmed somehow, or would it be overly difficult? I'm wondering if it's possible for the when the unit senses the headlights are on, it is reprogrammed to a darker brightness? I am not particularly tech savvy.

The lowest volume setting is pretty quiet. When just sitting in the car with no vehicle movement, it's still very lightly audible, but when driving, you can't hear what's on the radio. I found that when listening to music while on the highway, settings 12-14 are perfectly audible and comfortable, which isn't even halfway through the volume range. All volume settings can be adjusted using the volume control knob or the steering wheel buttons.
    Perfect.

Yes, steering wheel controls work with the typical audio controls associated with the radio. Volume up/down and skip ahead/back buttons work perfectly regardless of the app you're using. Unfortunately, the steering wheel remapping app that comes with the unit doesn't do anything, so don't expect to be remapping any buttons.
    I didn't expect to remap steering wheel controls. Do any of the other steering wheel controls work e.g. the Bluetooth button?

Sorry it took so long - hopefully the thoroughness of the review explains why I've been so lazy to start writing it up. lol
    No, I appreciate it, really! It is thorough and well explained with good pictures.

Solution:
    Stop being a weirdo and just turn on the brightness of those gorgeous interior lights! Then there won't be a mismatch! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post

What launcher are you currently using? And what do you search for to find custom launchers? I'm not familiar with Android (trapped myself in the iOS ecosystem).
    I'm using Nova Launcher, mainly because with this one, the Navi button still opens Google Maps (the other launchers somehow kill this button and it does nothing with those enabled), and because I already own the Premium version of this app.

Is that something you think could be programmed somehow, or would it be overly difficult? I'm wondering if it's possible for the when the unit senses the headlights are on, it is reprogrammed to a darker brightness? I am not particularly tech savvy.
    I do not think it can be programmed, at least not out-of-the-box. Maybe some genius who knows how to tinker with Android code can, but not average Joes like you or I. There are no dimming options that I can see in the settings menus. My old Eonon unit had the same problem.

I didn't expect to remap steering wheel controls. Do any of the other steering wheel controls work e.g. the Bluetooth button?
    None of the other buttons have an effect on the unit, only volume and next/back buttons.

No, I appreciate it, really! It is thorough and well explained with good pictures.
    Glad you found it useful! I wish I could find reviews like this when I'm about to make a big money purchase such as this, so I kept that in mind in case others were interested in this one.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

bravo! about time!

I wish they had something similar for apple, my eonon Unit is nice but lacks the features and better “polish” this has.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Thanks for the great review!!! I'm with Badclown since I have an iphone too.
    Ron ///Man

'06 ZHP Coupe 6sp Sparkling Graphite
    '02 330ci SE46 Racer
    '03 330ci Endurance Racer

Well since the screen mirroring doesn't appear to work, your capabilities with iPhones is exactly the same as with Android phones with this unit, so that shouldn't be a deterring factor. Just turn on your mobile hotspot and tether the head unit to it. Connect Bluetooth. That is all you need.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Speaking of music playback, there are ample options for this in addition to Bluetooth streaming. There is a total of three USB ports on the head unit; two of the ports are accessible via a dual-USB port dongle that plugs into the back. The final USB port is accessible through the front via a Mini-USB port that you can use with the supplied Mini-USB to USB Type-A dongle. There is also a Micro-SD card slot on the front, so you can also load music, pictures, and video on that medium. I do not play videos or view photos on my unit, but I do use these methods for music. I am happy to report that the built-in music app, as well as third-party apps downloaded from the Play store, detect these storage mediums and import the music without issue. If you wanted to use these devices for pictures and video, you can do that as well and access them through either the supplied applications or any third-party app from the Play store. There’s also a built-in tuner app where you can fine-tune the sound to your liking.

Main playback screen
    20171129-010a by botond.pal, on Flickr

Heh...dongle

Thanks for the write-up.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast