Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    I just got some high temp liquid electric tape and was very generous with brushing it onto the wires. left to try over night and was nicely insulated again.
    This is what I did the last time I took my headlights out, but this time I found the liquid electrical tape was flaking off too.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    This is what I did the last time I took my headlights out, but this time I found the liquid electrical tape was flaking off too.
    man you just have an answer for everything dont cha
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

man you just have an answer for everything dont cha
    After having to rebuild your headlights three times for various things since buying the car, you tend to have tried a few things here and there...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

After having to rebuild your headlights three times for various things since buying the car, you tend to have tried a few things here and there...

That is why it is tempting to buy new headlights all together.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

So here's the deal I think the best way to attack this will be to rebuild the wire harness with brand new 16 gauge wire.... However I have a strong feeling that after two to three years the insulation on that brand new wire you used will you do the same thing as a factory wiring did or do the same thing your liquid electrical tape did. We have no metrics for knowing how long anything last under that heat and stress and for all we know there's nothing you can do because no matter what material you use will just do the same thing after the same amount of time.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

So here's the deal I think the best way to attack this will be to rebuild the wire harness with brand new 16 gauge wire.... However I have a strong feeling that after two to three years the insulation on that brand new wire you used will you do the same thing as a factory wiring did or do the same thing your liquid electrical tape did. We have no metrics for knowing how long anything last under that heat and stress and for all we know there's nothing you can do because no matter what material you use will just do the same thing after the same amount of time.
    Considering the wire I'm buying isn't supposed to be a biodegradable type of wire like they used from the light factory, it should last a lot longer. That is the hope, at least.

It's labeled as automotive grade TXL wiring, rated for a huge temperature range that exceeds what most of the country would ever see.

Last edited by az3579; 12-15-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Honestly, I don't think it's only the heat that really kills it. It's just part of the story. It's more the movement for adaptive/leveling in combination. Cause I mean my angel eyes wires are even smaller (24awg). But since my angels are mounted to the shroud so it never moves, the wires look perfect. And the wires are closer in proximity to the projector than the headlight wiring. At least that is how it looks every time I open up my headlights.

TXL is like the standard wire they use though. Or maybe GXL. Either way, it's only the thickness of the insulation that is the difference. I would try like SRML lol I figure have a more flexible wire with even higher heat and fire resistant would do the trick lol

I'm going to rebuild my headlight harness soon. I have some M22759 20 awg wire that I'm simply going to splice in, solder and heat shrink. That wire should last the life of the car.

20 awg is plenty for this application, especially with a length of less than 1m.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234