Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

ZKW to AL Headlight Swap: Bracket modification

Swapping ZKW xenons for AL xenons is a common solution to the burnt ZKW projector issue. Electronically, they are direct replacements. The only modification needed is to cut a small part off of the ZKW bracket. The AL bracket should fit both units. Here's how I did it. It's very easy.

Here is the difference between the ZKW and AL units:

The AL unit is on the top. The igniter sticks out about a half-inch. It's the box that is sticking out. All you're doing it cutting off part of the bracket to make room for it. I suppose you could not modify the bracket at all and it wouldn't make a huge difference, except for being a bit harder to install.

Here is the unmodified ZKW bracket with the AL headlights:

Before mod:

After:

That's it! I didn't even use a dremel. I just used a pocket knife with a serrated edge.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L||2008 Hummer H2 SUT|| @oltorf.the.destroyer

The ZKW lenses are clearer and give a sharper cut-off than the foggy AL units. I swapped lenses while I was at it using this video as a guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lcup1PYTC0&t=654s

It's tricky if you don't know how to do it, but easy the second time around.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L||2008 Hummer H2 SUT|| @oltorf.the.destroyer

I have done the ZKW lens retrofit to both my BMWs...

If you take your time this retrofit is not too difficult to do

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk Pro

ZKW Lenses + AL headlight and City light retrofit was my old setup.

Oltorf, how's the fitment after the bracket mod ? Check post #13 here, there's a gap on the passenger side.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...light-assembly
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

There should be a way to slide some rails on the inside of the turn signal lights into some outer rails on the headlight. That's how I got mine to fit closer together. They're easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Oltorf, how's the fitment after the bracket mod ? Check post #13 here, there's a gap on the passenger side.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...light-assembly

There are my corner lights. As long as they’re slid into the rails on the headlight there won’t be a gap.