Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STX Weight

STX Weight

Ever wonder what a ZHP can get down to in SCCA Solo STX trim?

As part of my suspension build weekend I corner weighted the car. With essentially all the weight-saving allowances of STX, almost 1/4 tank more gas than I'd run in competition, and a 2003 non-sunroof ZHP, it weighed in at 3,088 lbs. So without the extra gas, that's somewhere around 3,065 lbs. With a lighter exhaust, dumping the fogs and HIDs, and lightweight brakes it could probably be in the 3,025 lb range.

Hope that's helpful for any of you interested in trying STX. Hopefully later this season I'll have some results as to whether the ZHP can be competitive. I think it will.

Hey Matt, do you know off-hand the race weight of some of the competition: wrx, e36, rx-8?

Removing Headlights and Fogs aren't allowed in STX.

The ZHP can be very competitive if you have good tires, suspension, and sway bars....and a good driver.

When we had a 330ci with Hankook R-S3s run (he only ran once). He put down a good enough time to get third in STX (0.4 seconds behind a Impreza, and 0.1 seconds behing a RX-8)

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bcleaver View Post
    Hey Matt, do you know off-hand the race weight of some of the competition: wrx, e36, rx-8?
    I once drove a C-Stock fully prepared RX-8 and it weighed in the 2900's.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I autocrossed my zhp for the first time this past Sunday. The lack of an LSD in this car is very frustrating. With DSC completely off, the unloaded inner wheel was spinning like crazy. With the electronic "diff" on, it was too intrusive. I've been autocrossing for 9 years and this is only my 2nd time running a car with traction control. I forgot to turn it off at all during the first run and that sucked. My 2nd run was nearly 2 seconds faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    I autocrossed my zhp for the first time this past Sunday. The lack of an LSD in this car is very frustrating. With DSC completely off, the unloaded inner wheel was spinning like crazy. With the electronic "diff" on, it was too intrusive. I've been autocrossing for 9 years and this is only my 2nd time running a car with traction control. I forgot to turn it off at all during the first run and that sucked. My 2nd run was nearly 2 seconds faster.
    TC on any BMW is a huge walking cane.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    I want an lsd....

Droid! Srs Legitness!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    This. I live with it; turn the TC off (completely). You won't be going as fast as you want with it on, no matter how much better you think it is with it...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    This. I live with it; turn the TC off (completely). You won't be going as fast as you want with it on, no matter how much better you think it is with it...
    If that's how my post sounded, that's not what I meant. I did go quicker in raw time with the DSC in the electronic diff mode (or whatever it's called) but that was just because I had a cleaner run. I was happy with my time with the 2nd run (DSC completely off), so I was just experimenting with the diff mode on that 4th run for the heck of it. I didn't like it because it was still too intrusive (you can really tell it uses the brakes for the 'diff' function). Either way, it was frustrating autoxing this car without an lsd (old PS1s didn't help either though) but DSC completely off is quicker, even though the inside rear will spin.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I'm still amazed that my 21-year-old e34 525i pulls better out of the corners than the ZHP... bleh. Thanks very much BMW.

Iso quality LSD at a reasonable price!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast