Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Magnetic Drain Plugs

I am doing all my fluids, and figured I would get magnetic drain plugs for the diff, tranny and engine oil. Might be overkill depending on how you look at it, but idc.

I found the engine oil and diff magnetic drain plugs on ECS, but cannot find the correct magnetic drain plug for my tranny ANYWHERE. I have a 2005 coupe with the GM A5S 390R tranny. The one ECS has is for the ZF tranny I believe.

Then there's Dimple, which sells different sized drain plugs, as well as these round magnets called 'Super Black Holes'

Anyway, I would really love if someone out there could help me find the right parts, and maybe weigh in their opinion on different brands.

Thanks!

G

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    I am doing all my fluids, and figured I would get magnetic drain plugs for the diff, tranny and engine oil. Might be overkill depending on how you look at it, but idc.

I found the engine oil and diff magnetic drain plugs on ECS, but cannot find the correct magnetic drain plug for my tranny ANYWHERE. I have a 2005 coupe with the GM A5S 390R tranny. The one ECS has is for the ZF tranny I believe.

Then there's Dimple, which sells different sized drain plugs, as well as these round magnets called 'Super Black Holes'

Anyway, I would really love if someone out there could help me find the right parts, and maybe weigh in their opinion on different brands.

Thanks!

G
    Whatever you do - do NOT buy the magnetic drain plug from ECS. They are notorious for snapping prematurely and then the other half of the plug falls into your drain pan.

I don't know anything about the other brands or if anyone ever found a decent replacement, but I always just stick with the OEM drain plug and change fluids regularly. It's not worth the risk
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Yep, if buying magnetic I would try dimple or goldplug over the ECS one.

ok so NO ECS. Gotcha. I read a thread on e46fanatics where one guy said the same thing. Screw snapped long before he finished torquing it. I'm surprised they don't have negative reviews with all the bad experiences.

The problem I am having is finding the correct bolt size. Oil drain plugs and diff plugs are more or less all universal for BMW if I am not mistaken. It's the Tranny drain plug that I need to find that corresponds to my tranny.

Autozone.com
    went with the Dimple drain plugs for oil pan, tranny and diff. The question now is if I can even drain my tranny. Friken fill plug is stuck.