Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks.

Today was crazy weather. It was supposed to be a washout. I didn't think we would be able to do anything outdoors, but where we live, we were between two bands of rain that soaked our neighbors to the west and to the east. It rained all day on them, and here it was dry pretty much from 9 AM on. It made for some great February weather -- cloudy, breezy, 70 degrees, and no rain.

That let me get the back two stainless brake lines installed, and do a power flush on the ZHP with Ate brake fluid. Since I had everything out and an extra liter, I went ahead and did my Z4M.

The back brake line mounting clips were a bugger to get off. I wrestled with the clip for 20 minutes and got it off, thinking I was home free. Then, I tried to get the brake line out of the slot for 15 minutes until I realized the metal won't slide out the slot in the mount. The metal line protector must be pushed back through the hole in the center of the mount, and the brake line goes out the slot. Duh! The other side was done in 5 minutes since I then knew the secret handshake. For the flush, I used a Motive power bleeder. I was a Motive virgin, but it did great. It was very easy to use and beat the brake pumping method for sure.

Do you guys like the kindergarten method of organization? It's my preferred method, so when I got the Motive power bleeder, I ran to Harbor Freight and picked up a 15" tool bag for around $8. I put all of my brake bleeding supplies in the bag including a caliper piston pusher, flare wrenches, 9mm nipple wrench, funnel, Motive pressure bottle and two motive bleeder bottles, plus a small OTC magnetic bleeder bottle for quick bleeds, and some steel and brass brushes, a can of Brākleen and a tube of caliper grease (not used on BMWs).
    Name:  brakebag1.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  246.8 KB

and it all zips up in a nice self-contained storage bag.
    Name:  brakebag2.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  24.8 KB

While I had the jack and jackstands out, I tuned up my rough alignment a little better. Now, the car is driving right without any weirdness. I had it a little too much toe-in before. I'll get it into an alignment shop this week.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Like the brake bag

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Almost done with front suspension refresh.

This will be fun.
    Name:  FCABSandEndLinks.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  192.2 KB

Salty
    Bone stock at the moment

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors

What's that smell

Today was differential oil change day. Oh man, I hate the smell of gear oil. It smells like BO, a dead animal, sweaty butthole, and chicken manure all rolled into one.

The rear diff drain and fill plugs use a 14mm hex. You can use a 14mm bolt with a couple of 14mm nuts in a pinch, but I had to run to the auto parts store anyway, so I picked up a set of large hex sockets. These diff plugs have the o-ring versus the crush washer.
    Name:  14mm.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  194.2 KB

It is always suggested to remove the fill plug first, so you know you can add more fluid before removing the drain plug. I used a 1/2" short extension and breaker bar. The plugs came off easily. The fill plug is toward the back of the car and the drain plug faces the passenger side.
    Name:  Extension.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  135.3 KB

This setup worked great. I placed an angled funnel under the diff, and let the drain plug fall into the funnel. The funnel angled down to a 2 liter bottle placed in an oil drain pan. This allowed a drain without a single drop spilling. It all went into the 2 liter bottle.
    Name:  drain.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  153.9 KB

And here is the nasty oil.
    Name:  oldgearoil.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  265.7 KB

You can get these Lubrimatic pumps on Amazon. They are really nice fluid pumps. This didn't fit the small lid Red Line uses on their gear oil, but the pump still works fine just placed in the top.
    Name:  gearoilpump.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  191.5 KB

I put in 1 qt. and then about 3 pumps from a second bottle until the fill hole overflowed. God that smell! Uggh. I used a torque wrench to tighten the fill and drain plugs to 44 ft. lbs (used when the plugs have an o-ring), and cleaned the outside of the diff with some brake cleaner.

The test drive after the fluid change felt smoother, but it could be placebo. I always have to give it a few days, before I can say for certain if there is any improvement.

I don't know what it is about that oil, but I swear I still smell it. It literally gets in one's nose.

Salty
    Bone stock at the moment

Yup, nasty smell. Nice write-up.

Hahaha yesss. Stuck in the nose for a week!

Congrats on the clean job. You pulled off what I was attempting with all of the same tools and much better execution.

Salty, that funnel looks good. I was changing the transmission oil few weeks ago. I had no funnel and job wad quite messy and so in convinient.
    I need to buy one of these angled funnel for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Hahaha yesss. Stuck in the nose for a week!

Congrats on the clean job. You pulled off what I was attempting with all of the same tools and much better execution.
    Thanks! Yeah, but were you using a Sundrop bottle?

Salty
    Bone stock at the moment

Thanks, Rus. I wish I could say I was smart enough to think ahead that the funnel would fit under the diff like that, but it was dumb luck. I just grabbed the only long neck funnel I had, and when I positioned it, it was like LIGHTBULB.

Salty
    Bone stock at the moment

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast