Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I was able to get most of the punch list done before Christmas morning, but was still gluing up B-pillar fabric this morning Got it done just in the "Nick" of time. Ho Ho Ho!

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Great progress

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

very awesome. reading this gave me a renewed sense of working on a car with my son when he gets older and getting his first car. it looks like so much fun!

what kind of mirror electronics issues are you having? i believe face lifted coupes didnt have "ribbon" cable mirrors like the sedans. they still had the new bus style mirror electronics where the driver side is the module and the passenger is the slave but the cables were 2 x 3 wire connectors instead of 2 x 3 wire ribbon wire connectors. the driver side is the commander and if the driver side fails.. then both mirrors will not work at all with the mirror switch but the passenger side will still tilt down in reverse since that's an independent pass through function. if the passenger side is dead then the driver side will still work on its own but the passenger side will not work with switch or tilt.

how was that 3M headliner spray? i almost got it but was worried about the high heat part with fabric coming loose in the summer time from high heat.

awesome work!
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

@SaltyNC - I sent you a PM re: dead pedal.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Thanks, Vas.

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    very awesome. reading this gave me a renewed sense of working on a car with my son when he gets older and getting his first car. it looks like so much fun!

what kind of mirror electronics issues are you having? i believe face lifted coupes didnt have "ribbon" cable mirrors like the sedans. they still had the new bus style mirror electronics where the driver side is the module and the passenger is the slave but the cables were 2 x 3 wire connectors instead of 2 x 3 wire ribbon wire connectors. the driver side is the commander and if the driver side fails.. then both mirrors will not work at all with the mirror switch but the passenger side will still tilt down in reverse since that's an independent pass through function. if the passenger side is dead then the driver side will still work on its own but the passenger side will not work with switch or tilt.

how was that 3M headliner spray? i almost got it but was worried about the high heat part with fabric coming loose in the summer time from high heat.

awesome work!
    Thanks, Nextelbuddy. It's definitely a fun hobby to share with family members.

I have exactly the symptoms you describe with the mirrors. I could have sworn I saw a ribbon cable running back behind the mirror housing on the driver's side and into the car, but I'll definitely let you know once I get back into it. The heated mirror glass attachment was ribbon cable. I kind of hope it is just a ribbon cable break issue. Those motor parts are crazy expensive. I guess I could always scavenge a junk yard for the electronics, but they might fail soon after given their age.

I really liked the 3M headliner spray. I was actually planning on using another 3M adhesive, but I couldn't find any locally. Whether the 3M headliner spray will last through a summer, I do not know. I would think it would be able to withstand high heat given its intended usage, but who knows. I'll put up a warning if it all comes sagging off again. I like it because it dries clear, and it has good workability. It's almost like a workable contact cement (oxymoron, I know). It's forgiving. It also has an adjustable nozzle for vert or horz spray pattern, and comes out something like Silly String. It makes multiple lines of glue. You make a cross-hatch pattern by spraying several coats in one orientation, then spraying 90 degrees to that. I also used a throw-away art brush to apply glue to tight areas. I would basically spray the glue, wait a few minutes for it to begin to get tacky, then begin laying the fabric on it gently, and then pressing all over once I was satisfied. I had very few instances of bleed-through doing it this way. What little did come through, I wiped very gentle with a circular motion using a black microfiber towel soaked in Goof Off Professional. I was trying to lift the glue from the fibers of the fabric without soaking the adhesive under the fabric. If you do use Good Off Pro, don't let it get on any plastics that show. It can mar the surface. I recommend doing all of this outdoors if possible. Lots of VOCs. Whew!

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Welcome to the forum. Bet your son appreciates your gift and also your dedication to maintaining the car. Heck it is more then being maintained, it looks like it is being rejuvenated!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Great to have another member bringing new areas of experience/expertise.
    I have to do all my pillars as well... good to know about the adhesive you used.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

subbed. you're doing a lot of things that I have on my list, too.
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L||2008 Hummer H2 SUT|| @oltorf.the.destroyer

Thanks for the info on the SEM Classic Coat. Many of our arm rests could use a little love. I see it on amazon for @$16. Where did you find it?

Where did you get the car? VA?

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the SEM Classic Coat. Many of our arm rests could use a little love. I see it on amazon for @$16. Where did you find it?
    Where did you get the car? VA?
    According to Page 1, he found the car near Baltimore: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...near-Baltimore
    SEM products can often be found at auto body supply places like Mattos or Pro Finishes Plus, and sometimes NAPA.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast