Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New noise

New noise

Edit: Videos all here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkZ...JSJ8-KJOBXqLGQ

Another noise identification exercise. Pardon the lengthy timeline, but hopefully it’s helpful in diagnosing. A few months ago ZHPizza found a loose nut on the top of one of my front shocks. An impact wrench tightened this up ~1/4 of a turn. Not the perfect solution as you can’t counter hold with an allen key, but it completely eliminated a very annoying noise from the front end. Good day.

Over the long new year’s weekend I double-checked the 3 nuts on the top of each rear shock in the trunk b/c I was curious. The two outer nuts are 10ft/lbs….and the central nut on the shock is 17 ft/lbs. All these felt tight. Took the car out for a long drive on Monday and there were no noises.

It got very cold Monday night – coldest it’s been yet this year – and Tuesday morning driving to work I heard some pretty loud cracks (maybe better described as one 2x4 board being slapped against another) coming from the back end. My parking garage ramp has some ripples in it (for lack of a better word) that get the shocks oscillating, which used to always create the noise I hated on the front end that ZHPizza fixed. This time, I got a really loud vibration from the back end. I do have this on video with good audio, but need to create a youtube account to upload. This vibration sound was basically the 2x4 cracks in very quick succession.

Tuesday night I re-tighten all the nuts on the top of the rear shocks again. Probably tightened them a bit beyond spec but not materially so. The noise has gone away on the parking ramp, however it still is there on certain types of surfaces. Single bumps (i.e. a speedbump) don’t reliably produce the noise, but generally rough roads (where the shock is oscillating) can occasionally.

I’m totally mystified by this. If I had mistakenly loosened the nuts over the weekend rather than confirming that they were tight, that would have been apparent on Monday. The problem only became evident once it got cold on Tuesday. And having re-tightened everything Tuesday night, the problem has largely gone away but there are still certain road surfaces that can produce the noise. Given the very modest torque specs for the 3 nuts in question, I have trouble believing these were ever loose.

These are the shock mounts that I have: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-jt-desig...SABEgIWgfD_BwE
    Last edited by nsk040; 01-06-2018 at 12:43 PM.

what kind of shocks in the rear, and how old are they?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    what kind of shocks in the rear, and how old are they?
    Bilstein HDs. Installed ~6 months ago. Basically did the BMWCurves refresh but with Bilsteins.

Years ago, I owned a 1992 Ford Tempo. On very cold days, the suspension made some funny noises. The car was fine at all other times. I’m curious to know if your noise continues after the temperature goes up.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post
    Bilstein HDs. Installed ~6 months ago. Basically did the BMWCurves refresh but with Bilsteins.
    ahh. based on fredo's post above, it sounds like you might have accidentally installed ford tempo shocks.

ha.....

i would recommend removing the rear shocks, test compressing them and listen to what happens. also, check the top mounts off the car and see if there might actually be a problem with the mounts themselves.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

I concur with Fredo, it was 0 degrees out here the other day and it has been miserably cold this week.
    Definitely hear strange suspension noises I never heard before, like something is loose in the front.
    All my suspension was refreshed last year. Everything is tight.
    Waiting for warmer days...
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Weird. I have never had odd suspension noises due to cold weather... and our temperature sweep is 30*C to -30*C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

la double post
    Last edited by slater; 01-04-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    I concur with Fredo, it was 0 degrees out here the other day and it has been miserably cold this week.
    Definitely hear strange suspension noises I never heard before, like something is loose in the front.
    All my suspension was refreshed last year. Everything is tight.
    Waiting for warmer days...
    I'm getting a noise that sounds like a loose threaded connection...you know like someone playing a washboard? I've been all through the front end and can't find a loose anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast